Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon To Share Your Personal Data - For Your Benefit Of Course

http://i.gizmodo.com/5166365/free-a...r-personal-data

"Verizon is currently sending out notification letters chock full of legalese to its customers. Here's a summary: You have 45 days to opt out or you "agree" that Verizon can share your personal data."

I cannot tell if this is for Verizon land lines and internet service, Verizon Wireless or both, but in any event, be sure to check your statement, and as the article points out, if you only get your statements online, you won't get any special reminder about this. It just shows up in the small print.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
hummingbirdhill
Ponderer
Default What a pain---to have to opt OUT!

The notice is published online. I read it by logging into MyVerizon, clicking View Message Center, and finally by clicking Customer Proprietary Network Information Notice.

I called the tollfree 333 number listed in the notice, and opted out in about 60 seconds.

Last edited by hummingbirdhill; 03-09-2009 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

glad it was painless and quick. Thanks for posting the directions so others can do it too. Auto-opt-in should be illegal.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
nmcclana
Pupil

Didn't they try to do this a while ago, as well? I ditched vzw for ATT a while ago (not that its practices are any better).

'Silence as acceptance' is generally illegal unless you've previously agreed with the other party that it's binding, which you have (Didn't read the 30 page contract that vzw sent you? Me neither. but I bet it's in there somewhere).

Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Funny.. I got a very similar letter from AT&T a few weeks ago. It basically said unledd you call this number to opt out we will share your personal information with our "network" of businesses. Basically anyone the have business relations with I assume...

I have AT&T wirelss, phone, and internet so I am not sure which branch this originated from.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
hotdram
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee View Post
Funny.. I got a very similar letter from AT&T a few weeks ago. It basically said unledd you call this number to opt out we will share your personal information with our "network" of businesses. Basically anyone the have business relations with I assume...

I have AT&T wirelss, phone, and internet so I am not sure which branch this originated from.
Same here. I filed the letter and forgot about it. Glad I saw this thread to remind me to go "opt out".

~Rob

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
azhiker
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to azhiker
Default Big deal?

What's the big deal, most companies like to make some money by sharing addresses and sales information of customers.

Anyone who purchases online knows this well.

But the opt out clause should always be in effect and can be called for at any time, instead of one chance only. This should be part of any new service contract.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee View Post
Basically anyone the have business relations with I assume...
And by "anyone they have business relations with" they mean anyone who is willing to pay them a small fee for your personal details.

I know this is SOP for many companies, but man am I so sick of it. I wish they would have some sort of "don't distribute my personal details" registry, similar to the no call registry that telemarketers have to adhere to, so that you could just sign up once and all companies would have to abide by your opt out. Otherwise you have to opt out with every company you ever do business with and then repeat every 3 months to 1 year.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Rahza
Neophyte

I'm not sure what the situation in other countries is, but in my country this kind of practice is illegal. IMHO as it should be!

Also, in my country all contracts (even signed ones) that contain phrases that are against the law are invalid, protecting consumers against "small letters". Don't you just love that?

Rahza