Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default T-Mobile To Favor Android Over WinMo in Future?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archive...or_android.html

"Apparently, Reinhard Clemens, board member at Deutsche Telekom (the company behind T-Mobile), recently mentioned that "Android will be a Windows of future." He even dissed Windows Mobile for its power guzzling ability, while giving bouquets to Android for enabling mobile operators to remain somewhat independent from hardware manufacturers."

I don't want to underestimate the potential of Android by any means, but this doesn't sound like T-Mobile is ready to ditch Windows Mobile anytime soon. Windows Mobile has far superior enterprise support right now that fits well within Microsoft's network infrastructure. Google has a lot of cool services, many of which I use, but corporate security and administration isn't one of them. Until they can compete head to head with MS in this area, a carrier would be pretty foolish to back away from Windows Mobile with nothing to replace it for the enterprise customer.

Yes, T-Mobile sells Blackberry devices and IT departments like them, but compared to the steps the iPhone, Android have made recently and what Windows Mobile will be doing in the next 24 months, their platform to me seems to be caught in the same place PalmOS was in the past - it does one thing really well, but as more advanced features are added, it shows that it isn't an OS with a rich set of APIs and capabilities like the competition. We'll have to see what the future brings in that regard. In the mean time, I suspect WinMo will be sold by T-Mobile for some time to come.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/03/tmobile_could_ditch_windows_mobile_for_android.html' target='_blank'>http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archive...or_android.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Yes, T-Mobile sells Blackberry devices and IT departments like them, but compared to the steps the iPhone, Android have made recently and what Windows Mobile will be doing in the next 24 months, their platform to me seems to be caught in the same place PalmOS was in the past - it does one thing <em>really</em> well, but as more advanced features are added, it shows that it isn't an OS with a rich set of APIs and capabilities like the competition. We'll have to see what the future brings in that regard. In the mean time, I suspect WinMo will be sold by T-Mobile for some time to come.</p>
While I am not a big fan of Android I would say that a more correct proposition is to compare what happened to WM, Android and Apple in the recent past and what these three OSes will do in the next 24 months; otherwise it would be like compare oranges and apples: what happened is done; what will happen is full of uncertainty.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Stinger
Thinker

I think you're reading this wrong.

There will always be a place for Windows Mobile. It's not going away any time soon because it fills a niche and it fills that niche well.

However, T-Mobile aren't thinking about smartphones as niche, enterprise devices - they're looking to make up ~50% of their sales from devices running an advanced operating system. What Reinhard Clemens is implying is that Android, not Windows Mobile, will be the smartphone OS of choice for their mass market phones.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
me
Intellectual

Well,T-Mobile USA (which is quite different from the European division, whose interview was cited) certainly has been slacking off in the field Windows Mobile phones!!!

For T-Mobile customers who are WM fans, it has become extremely difficult!

No really new WM phones in well over a year! Only the "new" Shadow, more of a cosmetic modification than anything else. All very underpowered. And no 3G! Not one WM 3G phone on T-Mobile! Incredible!