Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft: "Understanding Phone Design Decisions"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...one-design.mspx

"In January, I had an opportunity to hear a presentation by Eric Lin, the Online Community Manager at HTC. Many of the Windows Mobile smartphones on the market today are made by HTC, even if they don't have the HTC name on them, so when it comes to smartphones, HTC is a market leader. The presentation covered several different topics, but the one I found most interesting was the question of how specific hardware design decisions impact the usability of the phone. When you pick up a Windows Mobile smartphone, the shape, size, weight, and feel of it give you an impression about the product - but did you know what kinds of decisions went into the final product you're holding? The answer may surprise you."

Read Jason's column on tethering? Well, here's another one. It discusses the design decisions that go into the phones you're carrying today - from the size of the screen to the feel of the keyboard and the sound it makes. Who knows? You may learn a thing or two that will help you choose the right phone the next time you're in the market for one.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

I hadn't really thought about all the many, many, many design decisions that go into something like a keyboard until the other day when I was reading a review and technical specifications for an external Bluetooth keyboard. It talked about key size, key spacing and layout, key travel distance, "travel to peak" distance, peak force, and on and on.

There clearly IS a lot more to designing the details of a keyboard, something we all take for granted every day. I'm just glad that there are engineers out there who "get" all of that, because all I know is whether or not a keyboard feels right.

=============================

BTW, am I the only person out there who CAN'T easily switch back and forth between my notebook's built-in keyboard and an external keyboard (like you would use with a docking station)? My muscle memory must be bad, because I end up making too many typos if I move between two different keyboards; that's why I usually don't use docking stations that require an external one.

Last edited by Brad Adrian; 02-27-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian View Post
BTW, am I the only person out there who CAN'T easily switch back and forth between my notebook's built-in keyboard and an external keyboard (like you would use with a docking station)?
I think it depends on repeated exposure. I have three keyboards around me, plus two laptops, that I regularly type on. I adapt to each one a bit differently - I think most people give up too easily on adapting to a new keyboard. It takes me a solid 1-2 weeks to get fluid with a new keyboard.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Stinger
Thinker

It's strange.

My brain easily handles the transition between PC, laptop and my E71. However, using my eee 901 netbook is incredibly frustration. The keyboard is almost the same size and layout as my desktop keyboard - too close for my brain to adjust, making it a frustrating experience at times.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:33 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Lightbulb details that matter

I'm glad they (htc or others) go to such detail examining how things should work on my device. Although, I wish they'd put that much detailed effort into some other areas of the device.

Touch Diamond/Pro users: Have you ever slid your finger across the dpad accidentally with an undesired result (I just had a video player skip ahead several seconds... oops!)

I missed a call today because I was actively using the device and tapping away with the stylus. The call came in and the phone app assumed I tapped the ignore call/send a text option! (slide to answer/ignore/etc in phone app would solve this)

I've gotten used to the hardware keyboard layout on the Fuze, but I'd still like to see the market research on that one. I'm fine with having convenient special chars and having to use Fn to get digits, but I really miss having a CTRL key!! Also, why doesn't every key (maybe not shift) have a Fn alternate?

m.

Last edited by mmidgley; 02-28-2009 at 04:36 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Fellwalker
Pupil

Why do they bother trying to recreate a good keyboard when the Psion 5 had it? Just licence that and all will be well with the world again. The sad thing about the 5 was that its hinges did not stand up to years of use. I still prefer its diary to that of my pda.
HTC HD2.Finally ditched HP hx4700 and miss its excellent screen, which was the proper shape, and its accuracy with a stylus.Sad Psion never developed its 5 series.Fed up that TomTom don't support HD2.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Why do they bother trying to recreate a good keyboard when the Psion 5 had it? Just licence that and all will be well with the world again.
The Psion 5 was a netbook-sized clamshell device. What makes you think the keyboard for it would work on a smartphone-sized device? Two very different devices, at two very different sizes - you can't just make a big keyboard smaller and have it work.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Fellwalker
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
The Psion 5 was a netbook-sized clamshell device. What makes you think the keyboard for it would work on a smartphone-sized device? Two very different devices, at two very different sizes - you can't just make a big keyboard smaller and have it work.
Sorry Jason but you are wrong. The Psion 7 was the original netbook, Size 235 x 182 x 37mm. (Actually, the Series 7 of 1999 was the consumer version of the Psion netbook.) Psion copyrighted the name netbook. Modern so called netbooks start at around 260mm x 180mm x 19mm, and go bigger.

The Psion 5 was a smaller machine. Size 170 x 90 x 23mm. I still have mine. I was happy to carry it around in a pouch on my belt for 3 years, so it would have been OK as a phone. Its not that much bigger than my HP hx4700 which is 132 x76.2x15.2 mm.

I agree the 5 is a little bigger than a typical tiny screened smartphone, but I'd be happier to have a screen big enough to use. The 5 is 40 mm longer than the new Toshiba TG01 Measuring 129 x 70 x 9.9mm. You are probably right that many people would consider it too big, but I don't.
HTC HD2.Finally ditched HP hx4700 and miss its excellent screen, which was the proper shape, and its accuracy with a stylus.Sad Psion never developed its 5 series.Fed up that TomTom don't support HD2.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
The Psion 5 was a smaller machine. Size 170 x 90 x 23mm. I still have mine. I was happy to carry it around in a pouch on my belt for 3 years, so it would have been OK as a phone. Its not that much bigger than my HP hx4700 which is 132 x76.2x15.2 mm.
The HP hx4700 is a sizable device, and it's less than half the total size of the Psion 5. I don't know big of a market there is for a tiny netbook that you can attach to your belt pouch...