Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default jkOnTheRun On What's Wrong With Windows Mobile

http://jkontherun.com/2009/02/19/ed...windows-mobile/

"Microsoft has not seemed to realize how consumer perception becomes the new reality in the smartphone space. WM may be the most advanced platform in the smartphone world (open to debate) but that becomes a moot point when consumers aren't aware of it. All of the major players in the smartphone game made a shift to reach mainstream consumers in the last couple of years and they quickly discovered this is totally different than the enthusiast communities and enterprises they've been targeting for so long."

While he by no means focuses purely on Windows Mobile, James Kendrick's blog is one I've followed for a long time and in this editorial post he makes a stinging and very accurate assessment on the state of Windows Mobile today. Very much from a consumer viewpoint, he makes the compelling argument that the way the WM ecosystem is set up makes it extremely difficult for Microsoft to leverage the Windows brand and technical capabilities of the OS in a way that the mass market would recognize and pay for. It's nothing we haven't heard (and discussed) before, but I've never seen it put quite so succinctly. I'd say this really bolsters the argument for Microsoft making it's own hardware or alternatively restrict further what vendors and carriers can do to the OS, provided of course Microsoft can deliver on the promise of WM7 (here's what jkOnTheRun readers thought about WM6.5). Thoughts, people?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
tbar
Neophyte
Default Windows Mobile

I like Windows Mobile. I currently have an iPhone because my AT&T Tilt died and neither AT&T nor HTC would provide support without a substantial price attached to it. But that's another story. By biggest complaint about WM is that it can't be upgraded like the operating system on a PC. It is ridiculous to have to buy a new phone to get the latest operating system. With smartphones costing as much as they do, this is going to be an impediment for Microsoft until they address it. Of course, they are going to have to address the UI so the phone manufacturers don't have to develop their own. And, like you said, they are going to have to do something about the development cycle. It is amazing to me that Microsoft, with all their resources, can't shorten the cycle. Having HTC, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, etc. who are essentially hardware companies develop bolt on UIs quicker than Microsoft can push out new versions of their operating system definitely highlights a problem that must be addressed.

There are many things about WM that I like better than the iPhone system. Let's go Microsoft. Focus!!! Get these problems fixed. After all, there are more cell phone users out there than just about any other device requiring an operating system.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

A few recent incidents I think will show where JK is right on and where he might do a little more thinking: First, I was talking to two fellow salesmen (we sell computer components to end-users) and one of them was all excited about how Microsoft was going to have "applications for Windows Mobile 6.5, just like Apple does." I was picking my jaw up from the floor while the other guy said "Microsoft has _always_ had apps... and a lot more than Apple does now." The first guy never admitted that he didn't realize you could install apps to WM machines without an App Store, but he did wonder whether end-users were bright enough to figure out how to install apps if the phone/OS didn't do it for you.

I tend to thing most users are far brighter than most manufacturers (and salespeople ) think. I think the Apps Stores are a good idea, but I still like to be able to work with my MW machine as I do now with WMDC.

The second incident was a bit later when the other salesman noted that he probably wouldn't have bought the iPhone if he had realized at the time that it didn't do Cut-and-Paste. I commented that the lack of Cut-and-Paste and the lack of card slots were the two reasons that I never looked at buying one. I tend to be such an uber-consumer that I don't always remember that other folks don't do hours of research (on sites like this one), sussing out all the features of a new device before making the purchase.

So, I'd agree with JK that Microsoft has it's work cut out for it. They need to do some real brand recognition work to let folks know why it might actually matter what the underlying OS of their smartphone is. They also need to make sure that the basic distinctives of WM (multi-tasking, ubiquitous cut-and-paste, full media support, etc.) aren't obfuscated by their vendors. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to take the fascist approach of Apple not allowing the vendor (note singular) to do anything significant to the OS. A better approach would be to make things more modular. The core functionality would be Microsoft's and, as a consequence, updateable on any WM device via MS Update, while the final level of GUI would be the vendor's and, consequently, updateable through them.

Probably most importantly, there needs to be some must-have features that more than periodically get added to WM. That means R&D into what consumers really want their phones to do. Part of Microsoft's emphasis in their desktop OS is media integration with the PC as the media hub. They need to do something similar with WM, finding out what consumers want their phones to be in the center of.

One thing the iPhone does pretty well is making the most of the small screen with built-in magnification of entry lines and zooming and scrolling; all of it finger-friendly. I don't think MS should simply copy-cat (even if they could escape law-suits). What I think they should do is figure out how to do something that accomplishes the same end (making the most of the small screen/not frustrating the user with unreadable text or massive scrolling) but with a distinctive approach. On a related note, maybe it's time to do away with the SIP (pop-up keyboard) concept and do something entirely different. Full handwriting recognition or even voice recognition are possibilities, as long as they work really well.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I have to admit, I've been bitten by the bug of a prettier and more usable interface than that provided by the bare bones Windows Mobile.

Originally it started with Spb Mobile Shell -- a good first attempt at finger friendly and making use of gestures. Then came along TouchFlo from HTC, the Omnia, and now the Toshiba interface (as well as a host of others.)

Since the vendors have now invested fairly heavily in developing their own 'look and feel' to differentiate themselves, I think Microsoft should maybe focus on providing more capabilities within the O/S kernal (e.g. native support of various gestures, better memory and battery management, etc.) and leave the actual look and feel stuff to the vendors.