Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft: "Using Your Windows Mobile Phone for Laptop Internet Access"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...net-access.mspx

"As ubiquitous as Wi-Fi networks are, they're not everywhere, and open Wi-Fi access points designated for public use are becoming more and more rare every day. You can pay to subscribe to Wi-Fi networks, but that can be expensive over time - as can buying latte after latte at your local coffee shop. The cellular networks will sell you a USB or ExpressCard-based wireless modem for anywhere Internet access, but they'll charge you an extra monthly fee (usually in the $50 realm) for the privilege of this service. There's a better way, and it involves using your Windows Mobile phone in a way you might not have considered before: as a wireless modem."

If you're new to tethering, check out this informative column on the Windows Mobile web site. It just happens to be written by our very own Jason Dunn, so if you have any queries or comments, feel free to fire them off in this thread and I'm sure our head honcho will attend to them, as always.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 AM
euphoria
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to euphoria

I am using this feature all the time. It is great.
It has become really a pain to find a decent working free wifi network. Most useful while traveling, as hotel wifi is usually expensive or disconnecting or just not working. I have an unlimited data plan from t-mobile, so this means that my laptop is always connected along my htc touch cruise to 3G internet for no extra cost.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 AM
davea
Ponderer

This is my favorite way to connect my laptop to my Motorola Q9h with WM 6.1 using T-Mobile WAP access. I ended up purchasing BlueSoleil Ver 6.4+ for
the laptop to properly support my bluetooth dongle. Your results may improve significantly with that bluetooth software interface.

My request would be for the next procedure that would connection my Q9h with my Dell Axim X51V with WM 6.1 via bluetooth. I can't get that combination to "share the internet" yet.... Anyone have a pointer to the best step by step for
that combination?

TIA...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM
tamoochin
Neophyte

I have a question. I heard that if you use your WM as a modem, the operator will charge you for using extra services, because the packets being sent from the laptop has a header which shows you are using a computer not a cell phone. I have unlimited plan from Sprint, I love to use my Touch Pro as a modem, but I think it costs me money. Do you think it is true? I haven't tried this to see if it is true or not. Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoochin View Post
...the operator will charge you for using extra services...
That depends upon your exact carrier and plan. All I can say is that with the AT&T unlimited data plan for my WM device I've never gotten an extra charge when using it to connect my notebook PC.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
psyjohn
Ponderer

This is how I access the web from home. Living in a rural area, broadband is unavailable, but I can pick up a cell signal. It sure beats the old dial-up days.

I was in a meeting recently where 3 of us were online with this method (one blackberry and 2 WM phones) and some of the older members of our group were simply bewildered that we were able to do that. LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I use this quite a bit on my Samsung Epix. It's come in handy many times. I got sick of dealing with the highly restrictive proxy at work, so I started tethering my laptop during the day when I can. My company gave me a Verizon BlackBerry with a tethering plan, but when "the network" isn't working (which happens about twice a day) my Epix makes a good backup. 3G is faster than EVDO.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
tospappy
Ponderer
Default Old Ipaq and old phone

I have been connecting my trusty Ipaq 5500 via bluetooth to my Motorola E815 for the last 4 years. I turned on DUN and just connect to the Verizon network using the #777 method. It uses minutes (which are free nights and weekends) so I don't pay the bucks for the data plans. I don't think I am getting the EVDO, just the regular broadband with this method. It has been 4 years and Verizon hasn't given me a warning to stop even though I average about 500 data minutes (mostly free ones) a month. I tried to upgrade my phone, but could not find a new Verizon phone that would allow me to connect. Just hope the old Ipaq and E815 keep on trucking.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 PM
tamoochin
Neophyte

Thanks guys. But none of you have a sprint phone.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Sasoon
Neophyte

There is even better way of using your WM device as modem. If it has WiFi, you can convert it to a hot spot, so all wifi devices in range can use it as access point. But you need to install additional software.