Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Qualcomm Mirasol Display in Inventec V112

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/17/...ow-lg-handsets/

"While the ultra-efficient, ambient light-loving technology hasn't gone through that Pleasantville epiphany just yet, a 1.1-inch bichrome mirasol touchscreen has found its way onto Inventec's V112 Smartphone alongside a decidedly more colorful bigger brother. It'll serve to show time, incoming and missed calls, email and SMS alerts, MP3 song information, and other information that doesn't require a lot of space or hue."

Just in case you're wondering, the mirasol display is that B&W portion right at the bottom of the display. Why the fuss? If you've ever had the misfortune of trying to read a transmissive screen in direct sunlight, the mirasol display is the answer to your prayers - at least, if you're not hankering for colour. The mirasol display uses conductive plates to reflect light, which makes the display clear and readable even under the brightest conditions - you'd still need to have a backlight in low-light conditions however. What this means is that these types of displays can have very low power requirements, which obviously translates into better battery life. At the moment, mirasol displays are only useful as secondary displays, given the colour deficiency, but I dare say that's being worked on as we speak. Ain't technology wonderful?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Lots of potential there - I'd sure love a screen that I could see easily with my sunglasses on, and in bright sunlight. That would rock!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Yeah, one of the things that's been disappointing to me has been the move to transmissive screens. These aren't really readable in daylight unless you boost the backlighting all the way up, and even then it's pretty hard to read - transreflective screens were better on that score. These new displays would be great, if they can get at least 16bit colours on them.