Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC Touch Pro2 + Mobile World Congress + Engadget = Hands On Video

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/...ro2-with-video/

"So this thing's definitely got some heft to it -- and honestly, especially for a business-centric device in this class, we don't think that's a bad thing. As with just about everything HTC churns out, the Touch Pro2 is exquisitely manufactured, feels rock-solid, and the WVGA is absolutely awesome -- we noticed that the gestures and animations are totally smooth and responsive, proving that WinMo is perfectly capable of handling this kind of UI dazzle."

The Engadget gang have another video for us, this time it's of the Touch Pro2. The second video (go to the Engadget article to see it) shows some of the new UI elements in TouchFlo 3D. HTC is really amping up the "special sauce" in their software - there are some seriously cool things that HTC has added. You can also see HTC's Eric Lin nearly drop this lovely device in the second video. Good thing he caught it! Engadget mentions the heft of this new phone, and sure enough, it's 10 grams heavier than the Touch Pro - but it's also 0.8mm thinner. My big problem with slider phones is how thick they are, so it's nice to see HTC making it a bit thinner. I have the impossible dream of seeing a slider phone that's 13mm thin someday - maybe by 2012?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

That is just so cool... HTC is really thinking about what business users want in a pocketable PC/phone.

The keyboard looks much easier to use, and the speakerphone capabilities (with a MUTE BUTTON!) is just awesome...

Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

I really dont like HTC's crusade against buttons though. A dpad really helps with one handed navigation. I dont always want to tap and swipe stuff on the screen. Tactile feedback is nice to have sometimes.

Add that to the omission of a 3.5mm jack and lack of camera flash and we have yet another phone that comes close but still fails to match the xperia x1. IMHO of course.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 AM
fone_fanatic
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to fone_fanatic Send a message via Yahoo to fone_fanatic

phonedog.com has their own video of this presentation which covers more... Was the engadget dude having issues with his camera?

Also i completely i agree with you JKingGrim, i dont see how one handed use on a such a big screen is gonna be possible without a dpad.

Also even if the camera had a flash you think it would be good? i have yet to see a decent camera from HTC

Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 AM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by fone_fanatic View Post
Also even if the camera had a flash you think it would be good? i have yet to see a decent camera from HTC
Well the real reason I like the flash is that it makes a great flashlight. I almost never use the light for taking pictures, but I really find it dead useful as a flashlight.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 PM
fone_fanatic
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to fone_fanatic Send a message via Yahoo to fone_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim View Post
Well the real reason I like the flash is that it makes a great flashlight. I almost never use the light for taking pictures, but I really find it dead useful as a flashlight.
That is true, but in my experience the screen set to full brightness and a white background by a "flashlight" app turns out to be much brighter than the actual camera flashlight. Such is the case with my nokia e71 and HTC TyTn.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:26 AM
GaryK
Pupil

I am really getting tired of seeing all these great phones that we CAN'T get. There is no USA version again. I liked the Blackstone, but no USA. Now the next crop shows up and we still don't see a USA version of the older stuff. I have an old HTC Universal that is not USA (no 850). I keep waiting for a 3.5" plus screen to upgrade to. It is a shame that we are the last place in the world to get the new technologies. I wish there was some way to put the heat on AT&T and HTC to give us what we want, not what they want for us.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:48 AM
superrrguy
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim View Post
I really dont like HTC's crusade against buttons though. A dpad really helps with one handed navigation. I dont always want to tap and swipe stuff on the screen. Tactile feedback is nice to have sometimes.

Add that to the omission of a 3.5mm jack and lack of camera flash and we have yet another phone that comes close but still fails to match the xperia x1. IMHO of course.
I agree. Everyone I know that wants an iPhone has an iPhone and would never buy anything else because they think the iPhone is cool. I don't know why everyone is trying to copy it.

I thought Microsoft was trying to merge WinMo Standard and Pro. I really like the one handed operation of a Dpad and I like the jog wheel and two extra buttons on the side of the Tilt. I have them mapped the the left and right soft keys and can get most operations done with out using anything else.

I don't want to swipe!