Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Gizmodo Gets a Little Hands On Time with Windows Mobile 6.5

http://i.gizmodo.com/5154385/window...interface-rocks

"I like the new Windows Mobile 6.5 interface, specially the new home screen, which is brilliantly executed. Running on the new HTC Touch Diamond 2, everything looked smoother, cleaner, and matched the iPhone's lick factor."

Jesus Diaz of Gizmodo was lucky enough to get a little touchy feely time with not only Windows Mobile 6.5 but also the HTC Touch Diamond2. From what we can see from the video posted on Gizmodo, the new version of Windows Mobile looks really nifty, though a bit sluggish at times. It is my understanding that the platform is not production ready yet so hopefully by the time we start seeing some of these drool worthy devices popping up at our favorite retailers in the near future a lot of the kinks and jerky movements that are seen in this video will be a thing of the past.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

I saw the video and numerous screen shots. "Matched the iPhone's lick factor" you're kidding me... right. Sorry but I just don't see it. It's interesting at best IMO. I think Microsoft could have done so much better than this. I'm rather disappointed with this new look going forward.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
"Matched the iPhone's lick factor"
I was going to mention something about this in the post but I didn't want to draw attention to it. I'm pretty sure he meant "slick" factor. Though I have heard people say they wanted to "lick" their devices before... which is really gross... I hope he didn't really mean lick

I personally am excited to see how the finished product turns out. Please keep in mind that Microsoft was nice enough, even if they had no choice in the matter, to show us footage and demonstrations from what can be described best as an early Beta late Alpha version of a product. From what we have seen completed so far, I have no doubt that when this platform goes RTM that it will be a lot snappier from what we have seen today (just like what we saw today was incredibly more polished then what was leaked last week, and so on, and so on)

Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

Yea, I would hope that was and error too. Yet after viewing the video the UI doesn't appeal to me. Buggyness and lag is the least I'm concerned about this early in the game. Those can easily be remedies with tweaks to the OS and UI. What concerns me is that the UI itself looks plastered on as an after thought as appose to a well thought out and intuitive looking and functioning UI. I am really hoping for better upon release.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
What concerns me is that the UI itself looks plastered on as an after thought as appose to a well thought out and intuitive looking and functioning UI. I am really hoping for better upon release.
You are correct but the only way to truly fix this is to rebuild Windows Mobile from the ground up instead of trying to fix a decade old foundation.

Also, I dig the Green Lantern avatar