Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Recite Unveiled: Voice Notes In Your Pocket

http://recite.microsoft.com/

"Microsoft Recite Technology Preview makes a busy mobile lifestyle easier by providing an easy method for remembering, searching, and retrieving mental notes and reminders from their Windows Mobile® device using the sound of their voice. Without navigating menus or tapping out text just speak your mental note to store it. Later, when you need the information just search and retrieve the remembrance using your voice."

Microsoft has taken voice notes to a new level. The tech preview of Recite is now available for devices running Windows Mobile 6.0 and higher. What sets it apart from the default Notes application is that you can not only store, but also search and retrieve notes using your voice. Check out the Recite blog to see just how this application works, or if you're not the reading type (which would be alarming, considering you made it this far through the post), why not download it and try it yourself?

Thanks to Geek.com for the image.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM
hotdram
Theorist

Can't seem to figure out how to delete a note that I made.
I also don't see any options, I would like to be able to rename notes.
Doesn't seem to be a touch screen app (touching the play arrow or the x button below a note doesn't do anything). You have to use the D-pad/scroll wheel to select what you want then hit enter (center of D-pad).

EDIT: According to the Recite website, my phone doesn't "qualify". The only HTC on the list (as of today) is the Diamond. Not sure if all the other devices on the list are WMo Standard or WMo Pro devices. Most of them look like WMo Standard.

~Rob

Last edited by hotdram; 02-15-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
tbito
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to tbito Send a message via MSN to tbito Send a message via Yahoo to tbito

Use the pad to highlight x (right hand side of the recorded note) then hit center of pad. It'll prompt you if you'd like to delete it or not. That's the only way to delete the notes since it's not a touch screen app.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

As a technological proof of concept, it sounds pretty cool. As a practical product, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

Nice soft. Hope it works as well as the voice commander thing that came with my HTC device.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Other opinions/reviews of the product:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=32651

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...cite-20090215/

Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alexander View Post
As a practical product, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
For some people, yes. But for others, it's brilliant - it really depends on how you sort and retain data.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
For some people, yes. But for others, it's brilliant - it really depends on how you sort and retain data.
I think it's a data trap. With no practical standard for converting the information you put into the system into any other form, you risk putting important information into a system from which you'll never be able to get it back out. We'll all download it and play with it for a few minutes, but we won't keep using it because the inherent limitations will become obvious as soon as we actually try it. Without the ability to convert your sounds into text, it will simply not be useful in a practical sense. It would be like having a Tablet PC that could not do handwriting recognition so that all you would have over time would be lots and lots of notes that couldn't move out of the system. Two years from now, most of us will have forgotten that this ever existed, and those few that actually use it will be spending their spare time listening to their notes while typing them into a text-based system.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alexander View Post
I think it's a data trap. With no practical standard for converting the information you put into the system into any other form, you risk putting important information into a system from which you'll never be able to get it back out.
That's true, and it's one reason why I won't be using it myself - but for casual use, I can see some value in this.