Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default How Do You Carry All Your Tech Gear?

Laptops, phones, MP3 players, cameras, gaming systems, etc.  The dirty little secret of having a bunch of portable electronics is that even with some convergence, a lot of us still have too many items to just carry around in our pockets, necessitating even the manliest of us to carry some sort of bag.  Since the ladies already carry purses for the most part, it is a challenge as a guy to find the right bag to carry all of our stuff.  So I'm curious, how much stuff do you carry around on a daily basis and how do you carry it?  I'll start off.

Like a few of you, I've got a bag fetish.  I've probably gone through 6 or 8 different bags before settling on the current one, a Baggallini Messenger Bagg.  I've got a very similar bag from Eagle Creek that is a bit bigger, but I don't like the strap as much.  Now, for the gear, starting from the left - eye drops, hand sanitizer, first aid kit, gum, notepad, green laser pointer, pen, 30 GB Zune and Shure earbuds, umbrella, 10 feet braided paracord and Niteize carabiner, leatherman, flashlight, sunglasses, Polaroid digital camera, Kensington wireless mouse, Bluetooth dongle, 8 GB Corsair Survivor, Acer Aspire One, wallet, Samsung Hue, and keys (with a Gerber Artifact and 1 GB Flash drive which is soon to be replaced by an Ironkey). 

Down the right side are items I add for trips - Sigg water bottle (being replace by a Klean Kanteen, pencil case for various chargers and cables, Monster Outlets To Go, Acer Aspire power adapter, Hybrid rechargeable batteries and charger, and a quickpod.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Phronetix
Thinker

Chris,

Do you really carry around all the stuff, with the exception of the travel items, on a daily basis?

I presume you must commute. For me, on a daily basis, I carry:
iPhone
wallet
keys

That's it.

On trips, I carry considerably more:
Brenthaven Trek backpack
iPhone
V-moda vodaphones
iPhone bluetooth headset
iPhone usb sync/charge cable, the one that comes with the bluetooth headset
Griffin iTrip AutoPilot
Wallet, keys, some OTC meds, passport, douments etc
MacBook Pro 15 inch
MacBook Pro Power Adapter
WD external drive, USB powered, containing video footage of my family, for editing if/when able
USB key, 1-4 GB, cheapest I can find, I am always just giving these things away.
Zip-linq retractable ethernet cable
Microfibre cloth for my glossy screens
Pouch with necessary toiletries in necessarily puny sizes, just in case.
Powerbars, Rebars, couple of each, gum, mints. The powerbars were seized by security last time I traveled. Apparently if I had opened them and has taken bites I may have got them through.
Pen, moleskine
Penlight, several dollars in coin, sunglasses in their case

That was time consuming. Now I know why you just snapped the photo. ;-)

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I'll post a picture some other time but right now I use a Jansport messenger bag. I like it but its not really designed for carrying gadgets so its not very efficient with its space.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM
doogald
Oracle

I don't carry more than my phone and perhaps my iPod in a daily basis, but when I travel it's with a Keen messenger bag. I like it a lot, with the only problem being that it does not stand up well. But that's really ok - it's got a nice compartment for my notebook, a big pocket for holding cables and stuff, a couple of external pockets big enough to hold a phone and an iPod, say, and the interior pocket of the bag, besides the notebook slot, has a big pocket to hold books, magazine, whatever. The strap is comfortable and thick, the bottom has recycled shoe rubber to protect the bag. I got it on sale at EMS last year.

It's something like this one: http://www.keenfootwear.com/product.aspx?p=597&pc=1665

Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Chris Gohlke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix View Post
Chris,
Do you really carry around all the stuff, with the exception of the travel items, on a daily basis?
Yes, for to and from work and when visiting friends/family. No for going to the store/restaurants (unless I specifically want a computer at the restaurant).

I'm actually trying out a new bag http://www.countycomm.com/minebag.htm . I've been wanting a modular setup that would allow a small bag for day to day, but the ability to add more stuff easily. This bag will allow me to add components via MOLLE attachments for adding on the items that I don't need daily but do for travel. Next time we have this thread, I'll have an update on that.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Do NOT get me started on my ScottEVests!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Daily: iPhone 3G, Treo Pro (I need categories and free/busy status), LOL-let, keys. I usually have the work blackberry with me as well because I am unable to do call forwarding from it for whatever stupid reason. Also usually: A Leatherman Micra, Sony Micro Vault Tiny, and bullet Space Pen. No bags, just pockets.

Work days: I also have either of my Sigg bottles if it's a full day of work or my Nalgene bottle (BPA? What's that?) if it's a half-day, my personal backup hard drive, the flash drive for work backups, possibly a large, red Moleskine Calendar (I have it 99% for the back pocket, in case someone decides to hand me a cheque. I hate having to cash wrinkled cheques.), travel mug in case I want to get a hot beverage from the place a few doors down, reusable shopping bags, travel packs of kleenex for when I'm sneezy, small Moleskine notebook that I keep my work lists in, Leatherman Juice, Victorinox Cybertool, and a Mini Maglite. Usually a Canon PowerShot G9. This is in an older Timbuk2 Commute.

Day trips: Daily stuff plus vehicle chargers for the phones, personal backup hard drive, reusable shopping bags, camera and whatever else I see fit to take with me. This is in a Timbuk2 City Guide.

Holidays: The day trip stuff plus maps, etc. in a Tom Bihn medium Cafe Bag.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 AM
emuelle1
Thinker

When I'm out not working, I normally carry my Samsung Epix and my iPod Touch. If I'm at work, I also add my BlackBerry. I carry a lot of things in my Swiss Army backpack. For work, I carry all my data cords and chargers, my laptop and charger, my Redfly and charger, and whatever documents and books and magazines I have on hand. I also keep some common medications like Sudafed and Tylenol in my bag just in case. When I fly, I change everything over to my over the shoulder laptop bag since it's easier to get my laptop in and out at the TSA checkpoints.

I'm always looking at messenger bags thinking how cool it would be to have a smaller bag just to carry around a book my Redfly, and a few chargers when I'm running my wife around on errands.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 AM
commishbob
Neophyte

I'm another phone, wallet, keys guy.

I have a messenger bag (cheap, generic) that holds my Zune with earphones, pens, a flash drive and whatever book I'm reading but I don't always bring that with me, even to work. Some days I just stick my Zune in my pocket and take it to work and use a pair of earbuds I have there. I hate toting stuff around.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 AM
townsendtribe
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to townsendtribe Send a message via MSN to townsendtribe Send a message via Yahoo to townsendtribe
Default I use a TUMI Gear Bag

I use a bag from TUMI called the Gear Bag. It carries everything I need without becoming bulky.

breakdown