Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default New Pocket PC Thoughts Post Structure

Hey everyone! This is a quick note to let you know that we've changed a few things about the way that posts are structured. First and foremost, the headline of our posts finally work like every other blog/news siteon the planet: when you click on the headline of a post, you're taken to the full view for that post (sometimes known as the permalink view). Previously we'd link to the article we were quoting from - now that link is in the lower-left corner of the post, near the bottom in an obvious Read link. We still have our Discuss link, and we're still going to show you the number of posts in a thread there. We've kept the Permalink link, and the Source listing and link hasn't changed.

The other big change we did was to add tags. Yeah, we're about four years late on that one - hey, that's the peril of using a custom content management system. ;-) We've actually been putting tags in our posts for many months now, but the system wasn't exposed to you, our wonderful readers. The way the system works is similar to most other sites: the authors assign the tags to the post, and if you want to see more about that topic, you click on the tag and it takes you to a page that has all the content that matches that tag. This will be particularly useful when it comes to keeping up on trade shows, contests that we're running, etc. So what do you think of the changes? Constructive comments welcome!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Good change. The "Read" link is much clearer. Don't feel like I have to repeat the link in the article or explain to click on the subject to get to the source.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I can be so oblivious sometimes...I never realized that the tags I put with an article didn't show up anywhere.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I can be so oblivious sometimes...I never realized that the tags I put with an article didn't show up anywhere.
Haha...that's pretty funny actually. Well, now you know why we were asking for them.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Master Loon
Pupil

Cool Beans

Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
dazz
Theorist

Looks like a good change to me. Although it isn't always fun to have to do what everyone else is doing, you do have to consider that some might get confused. Us long timers (note I didn't say "old") know how it works, but new readers may not.

LOVE the tags though. That was definitely needed.