Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Google Sync For Your Windows Mobile Phone

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/20...-winmo-and.html

"One of the hardest parts about switching phones is getting your address book and calendar to your new device. We're making that process a little easier by releasing a beta version of Google Sync for the iPhone and Windows Mobile phones as well as a contacts-only version for phones that support SyncML."

Google has just added what appears to be Exchange Sync functionality to your Windows Mobile phone. The iPhone, Blackberry and Sybmian is also supported. It supports contacts and appointments, but not email and tasks. If I had to bet, I'd say push email is just around the corner. I've not tried this out yet as I already have an Exchange account, but for those of you that don't, this could be what you've been waiting for. As is usual for Google, this is free, at least for now. There is a brief video at the Google blog explaining the service.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
RogueSpear
Ponderer

Works as advertised on my iPhone 2G. Pretty dang quick too! I have several hundred contacts and I'm a heavy Google Calendar user. Everything transferred over in about 20 seconds on an edge connection.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
digger
Pupil

This functionality has been available for some time via NuevaSync and has been working really well. They added multi calendar support a while ago as well. Still it is nice to see Google making this available directly.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
murph
Ponderer

this is awesome....unless you are already using Activesync for your business email/contacts/calendar

Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Been waiting for this for WM devices. I already use it on my Blackberry and now with this on my Wing, I'll have a cloud sync solution for both my mobile devices. Fantastic!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 AM
doogald
Oracle

I've been using NuevaSync to do the same thing for the last 6 weeks or so on my WM phone, and I'm pretty happy with it. One major difference that I noticed is that Google supports only 5 calendars, while NuevaSync supports up to 8.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Deslock
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear View Post
Works as advertised on my iPhone 2G. Pretty dang quick too! I have several hundred contacts and I'm a heavy Google Calendar user. Everything transferred over in about 20 seconds on an edge connection.
It syncs only my primary Google calendar (and removes the rest from my phone). Is there a way to sync more than one calendar?

Last edited by Deslock; 02-10-2009 at 04:07 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
It syncs only my primary Google calendar (and removes the rest from my phone). Is there a way to sync more than one calendar?
Don't think so. My understanding is this is like Exchange - uses the Exchange Server ActiveSync app on the device. Whatever you sync with this, you cannot sync with anything else.

For this to be beneficial to me, I need to find a solid sync solution between Outlook and Google so all 3 - outlook, Google and WinMo phone - are in sync. I've found a Google Calendar sync tool, but nothing for contacts.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Don't think so. My understanding is this is like Exchange - uses the Exchange Server ActiveSync app on the device. Whatever you sync with this, you cannot sync with anything else.

For this to be beneficial to me, I need to find a solid sync solution between Outlook and Google so all 3 - outlook, Google and WinMo phone - are in sync. I've found a Google Calendar sync tool, but nothing for contacts.
Yeah I've read elsewhere that up to 5 calendars are supported, so I'm not sure why I only get my primary. Either way, I have over 10 calendars so this isn't gonna work for me. Likewise, Google's contact syncing doesn't bring over everything so i'm sticking with syncing to the desktop for both (no biggie as Busysync works nicely for Google calendar).

I've tried various push calendar/contact syncing solutions for the iPhone, and the only decent one appears to be MobileMe. It's actually pretty slick (my wife uses it in conjunction with BusySync), but I'm not willing to shell out $50/year for it.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Likewise, Google's contact syncing doesn't bring over everything so i'm sticking with syncing to the desktop for both (no biggie as Busysync works nicely for Google calendar).
Seriously? Is there a contact limit, or do you have contacts in different folders, or is it taht not all fields are sync'd?