Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default One Line Wisdom: Windows Mobile Edition

In the past we've asked you to share your best tips with the community, and in the same vein comes my newest talking point, the elusive yet useful joys of a small nugget of wisdom. Your mission, dear community, is to share one short line of wisdom that you might give to new users of Windows Mobile devices, old vets, and recent converts from "dumbphones". Feel free to expound on your one-liner, but the one-liner should be able to stand on it's own. Here's mine:

When it comes to software, less is more

My line refers to the temptation some users get to trick out their phones with every conceivable application under the sun. And trust me - I was no exception to this when I started out with Windows Mobile. I had (still have actually) registration codes for easily the top 30 applications for Windows Mobile. I tried everything, bought most of it, and today use almost none of it. Aside from 3-5 applications I install, my device remains stock. Why? Well it isn't that the software isn't well written, it's simply that I know what I use and try to avoid the clutter of unused doodads. When you find the software that really works for you, you don't need to spend hours tinkering with everything else. Your smartphone just works, smartly, for you.

Now it's your turn - share your line of wisdom and explanation (Perhaps it's When it comes to software, use everything!")!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
hotdram
Theorist

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Much like Jon, I was constantly putting software on my phone that looked cool and did stuff that I thought I needed. I would only try things that had trial versions. Turns out that I didn't need those apps at all, they just cluttered the phone and the slowed it down.
I eventually bought just the following:
Agenda One (the Windows PIM sucks) - use it daily
Fizz Weather - don't use it much now, there are better/cheaper options
SPB Wallet - couldn't live without it
Pocket Quicken - sync daily with my desktop account
Garmin Mobile XT - need another GPS like a hole in the head, but it is really cool

~Rob

Old 02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Yeah - I'm with you on this one. I probably have as many registered apps as you do, and find that I really only use 5 or 6.

One of the reasons I've become more selective is because my Wing is so memory constrained, so I have to be pretty selective about what I put on it. But in the process, I've discovered that I only use a handful of apps on a regular basis, so I've trimmed down what's on my device to those apps and find that I really don't miss the others.

My top apps are PocketInformant, Pocket Bible, Resco Explorer, EReader, MemMaid and TextMaker 2006.

Last edited by crimsonsky; 02-05-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

First thing to do when you get a new device: install a screen protector.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
swtrainer
Pupil
Default One Liner (not quite)

Don't get frustrated! Windows Mobile is not Windows! So, there is a learning curve. Learn to customize Windows Mobile to meet your needs. There are sites out there that will walk you through it and just getting all the apps available that you really use from the "Start" list rather than having to tunnel through multiple layers makes a huge difference. Having easy access to your key apps available from "Start" or from shortcuts (fn+f for files, fn+i for Internet, fn+c for calendar, etc. is great but requires some customization because AT&T wants you to have easy access to all their garbage that you don't want anyway. Some of this requires remapping shortcuts but its worth the effort.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 PM
levimarshall
Neophyte
Default Backup, backup, backup!

Backup, backup, backup!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
psyjohn
Ponderer

Get a good backup application and use it regularly.

I agree with Jon and the others about software in general. I own way more than I currently use, but one thing I will never be without is backup software. Since SK Tools added backup to the long list of things it will do I use that (better one app that does many things than lots of single apps), but there are several good options. ActiveSync has become unreliable at best so I never count on that to save my contacts, tasks, and appointments. If you've ever had your device crash without a recent backup, as I did a few years ago, you'll never make that mistake again.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
levimarshall
Neophyte
Default I guess this is a 2 liner.

Don't be a fool. A 2 year contract is not cool.

Don't allow yourself to be locked up into a 2 year contract however enticing it may seem. Once you get your hands on a new handheld a newer one may well be on its way. It is better if you buy in cash than to be stuck in a gadget that you would want to replace but couldn't.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyjohn View Post
Get a good backup application and use it regularly.

I agree with Jon and the others about software in general. I own way more than I currently use, but one thing I will never be without is backup software. Since SK Tools added backup to the long list of things it will do I use that (better one app that does many things than lots of single apps), but there are several good options. ActiveSync has become unreliable at best so I never count on that to save my contacts, tasks, and appointments. If you've ever had your device crash without a recent backup, as I did a few years ago, you'll never make that mistake again.
I've been using backup software on my WM devices since day one (about 5 or 6 years). I didn't even include it in my list of software because I consider it so essential that I wouldn't dream of having a device without it. My current backup solution is Sprite Backup 6.x and it works fantastically on my Wing.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Of course, my guiding motto has always been:

W?BIC!

"Why? Because I Can!"

I realize that's a little bit antithetical to others posted here about simplicity, but the inner geek in me still has to TRY to do things with my Windows Mobile device just because I can.