Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Skybox Roadmap Leaked

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...admap-leaks.ars

"Courtesy of 'some well-connected sources who've asked to remain anonymous' ZDNet has come across a roadmap for SkyBox. SkyBox 1.0 will be able to backup and restore data, manage content, and share that content with other users. It will go into beta in mid-February and will be free for customers thanks to an ad-supported Web portal."

More details are emerging on Microsoft's alleged charge into the cloud. According to the article (the news first broke through ZDNet), there will be two further enhancements of Skybox. The first, Skybox 1.5, will launch in the summer and feature a premium service along with a free standard service. Skybox 2.0 will be integrated with SkyMarket as well as feature greater integration with other Microsoft cloud services, although no timeline is available for this version. Things appear to be heating up, and we're still two weeks away from MWC when hopefully all things will become clear.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

The only thing I can say is: "here we go again."

According to something I read on another site, the new "Sky" services are going to require Windows Mobile 6.5.

When is the Windows Mobile team going to quit releasing these new "groundbreaking" services that are supposed to liven up the WinMo franchise, when the installed base of users is left behind? As I've stated before, I don't mind upgrading my phone/platform when something revolutionary comes along (e.g., WinMo 7) but if the 6.5 requirement is true for the new stuff MSFT is just shooting themselves in the foot again.

First off, we can be about 99% certain that WinMo 6.5 upgrades are going to be far and few between from manufacturers and carriers, so that means buy a new device. Secondly, if MSFT would start releasing "killer apps" that could go on all of their phones of a decent vintage (say past 1-2 years) they'd get instant publicity and word of mouth for the features; let's get some positive buzz brewing about this platform, PLEASE. Third, the buy and toss model of cell phones is a truly horrific use of resources and I'm counting on MSFT to figure out a model where they have a bit more control on getting devices updateable via ROM upgrades without requiring carrier approvals/effort.

I'm eagerly awaiting the press releases from the meetings in Barcelona to begin understanding what WinMo 6.5 is all about as well as separating fact from fiction in all of the rumors running around!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Sky Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Anderson View Post
The only thing I can say is: "here we go again."

According to something I read on another site, the new "Sky" services are going to require Windows Mobile 6.5.

When is the Windows Mobile team going to quit releasing these new "groundbreaking" services that are supposed to liven up the WinMo franchise, when the installed base of users is left behind? As I've stated before, I don't mind upgrading my phone/platform when something revolutionary comes along (e.g., WinMo 7) but if the 6.5 requirement is true for the new stuff MSFT is just shooting themselves in the foot again.
I agree that they shouldn't require WM 6.5, but where did you read that? It seems hard to believe that the OS would be required for these services.

Sure, the OS should ship with them included, but why can't the clients be downloaded like Live Search, MSN Live or Tag?

Steve

Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

According to the article, SkyBox 1.5 will require a minimum of WM 6.1, although even that would leave a lot of people in the lurch. What's funny is that there's also mention of "a select few non-WM phones". That's the real oddity to me.