Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Google Tasks Now Available Via Phone Browser

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/20...your-phone.html

"A couple months ago, Tasks launched in Gmail Labs. Tasks lets you easily create and manage to-do lists right in Gmail. Now, you can access and manage your task lists from your phone, too. Just go to gmail.com/tasks in your mobile browser and log in."

For many Windows Mobile users this won't be of much use. As of right now, there is no way to sync your tasks to your phone, or Outlook for that matter - at lest not without jumping through hoops. I've seen articles that will let you sync Google tasks with Toodledo and then sync them with Outlook, but that seems like too much work. You'd have to have tasks set up to remind you to sync all of the services.

However, for some Windows Mobile users and other phone users that are more interested in having tasks in a central location on the internet rather than locked down to your PC's copy of Outlook, this may be the ticket. The only real issue is you need a web connection for this to work on your phone. It won't sync to your Windows Mobile tasks database, so there will be no task maintenance, or even review, in places with low or no signal, like in a plane or subway.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
pmgibson
Ponderer

Dang. When I read the headline I was hoping that Google might finally be the solution for me.

I had to buy a new laptop awhile back and it came with Vista. Not wanting to spend 6 years tracking down XP drivers for the hardware, I left it at Vista.

But there seems to be a problem with the USB ports and drivers. Sometimes they work and sometimes I get Unknown device when I put the Tilt in the cradle and try to connect and sync. When that happens, I have to power down the laptop, unplug the power, plug it back in, and power up.

So if I could come up with a solution that lets me sync calendar, task, contacts, and files without syncing via USB, I think I'd be in heaven.

Maybe Google will get there - in the meantime, I'll keep cold booting.....

Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgibson View Post
So if I could come up with a solution that lets me sync calendar, task, contacts, and files without syncing via USB, I think I'd be in heaven.
Bluetooth? I don't even know where my USB sync cable is. Haven't used it in years.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM
pmgibson
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Bluetooth? I don't even know where my USB sync cable is. Haven't used it in years.
Yeah -- I thought of that. But apparently my new laptop doesn't have BT -- so I'd have to get an external device which puts me back to USB. Sigh.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Bluetooth Syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgibson View Post
Yeah -- I thought of that. But apparently my new laptop doesn't have BT -- so I'd have to get an external device which puts me back to USB.
True, but there are some very small dongles now, plus you don't have to worry about making a physical connection, so you can keep your phone with you while you sync. I finally tried Bluetooth sync earlier this year and haven't connected my cable since.

You should also make sure that you're running the latest version of Windows Mobile Device Center.

Steve

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Google Gears?

Quote:
It won't sync to your Windows Mobile tasks database, so there will be no task maintenance, or even review, in places with low or no signal, like in a plane or subway.
Unless it works with Google Gears and there's a version of Gears for Windows Mobile.

Steve

Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA View Post
Unless it works with Google Gears and there's a version of Gears for Windows Mobile.
But it doesn't, so why would you even bring that up? Doesn't mean it can't, but it doesn't.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Google Gears?

Quote:
But it doesn't, so why would you even bring that up? Doesn't mean it can't, but it doesn't.
I brought it up because I didn't know if it worked with Google Gears or not (hence the question mark in my post's subject). Nothing in the original post or the linked story said whether it worked with Gears or not, so I thought I'd suggest it. Nothing confusing there at all.

Steve