Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Where Does Your Device Live?

Back many years ago, it was quite cool to pull a Batman-esque utility belt look by slapping your expensive phone to your hip. These days that look has mostly gone out of style in favor of more discrete ways of carrying your electronic gizmo collection. Pockets, however, can be a bit dangerous for a device. Briefcases and purses keep devices safe, but require one more thing to carry. And lastly, the shirt pocket (My preference, see below) may keep the device at hand but looks uber-geeky in the way only a pocket protector could ever envy. But hey - a man has to put his device somewhere!

The Omnia Peeks Out while the uniball gel pen confidently stands.

So now that we're mostly out of the utility belt era, where do you keep your device during the day? And do you protect it with a case or cover of some sort? I normally don't, but then again - I live dangerously (as the gel pen sans pocket protector above indicates).

Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Twain
Ponderer

I must be "out of style" since I still carry my phone in a case attached to my belt. Maybe I'm not fashion conscious enough. I will say that since I no longer schlep around my iPod, a separate pager, a separate PDA, compact digital camera, aspirin pouch, keychain, swiss army knife, sunglasses and energy bars, I can't pull off that Bat-belt look anymore!!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I've ditched cases for the most part as well. The exception is cases such as Incase Sliders for the iPhone 3G that add minimal bulk yet do not inhibit use of the device at all.

As for carrying, if I'm outside, the Treo/iPhone (depending on mood) is generally in a jacket pocket. If I'm inside, it's in a pants pocket. Generally a hip pocket but possibly a cargo pocket if I'm wearing cargo pants.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Stinger
Thinker

Quote:
Back many years ago, it was quite cool to pull a Batman-esque utility belt look by slapping your expensive phone to your hip.
I don't think that was ever cool. At least not in the traditional sense of the word.

Mine always goes in the left-hand side pocket of my pants. I never use a case since it adds to the bulk and I tend to buy a new device every six months anyway.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Don't really care if it's cool or ever was, but the case attached to the belt makes it really easy to carry the phone, get to it when I need it, then put it somewhere I don't really need to worry about. It also provides a little extra protection in case that case flies off for some reason. I don't want to try to put my PDA in my pocket - too inconvenient to get at a lot of times, especially if I'm sitting and forgot to take it out prior or worse, driving with my seatbelt blocking my pockets.

I'm open to better ways to carry it, but will stick with my belt pouch/case thing for now and remain with the "uncool" crowd.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

I think only Americans ever thought the utility belt look was cool ...

My phone is in my left, front jeans pocket. Safe, secure, easy to reach, and out of the way of knocks and scrapes.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
halljames
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott View Post
, driving with my seatbelt blocking my pockets.
You shouldnt even by thinking about a phone or pda when driving. Shame on you.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
tregnier
Theorist
Default Not Cool

I abandoned cool quite a few years ago and have thrown myself into the briar patch of function over form. I put it on my belt.

Peace,

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker
Default BatMan all the way

My phone lives on my belt. Wallet in front left pocket, keys, chapstick, and Gerber Eclipse in front right pocket.

I'm not too worried about looking cool.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

It's always in the front left pocket of my khakis. The touch screen faces my leg (candy bar) and top is down.

This protects the screen from things my leg may brush against and also puts it in the correct orientation for my to hold it when I take it out of my pocket.

I've never been a fan of cases. To me they take up too much room and sometimes get in the way.