Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Informant 8

http://software.smartphonethoughts....-Best-PIM-award

"Pocket Informant is The Next Generation in Personal Daily Management, but we don't just say that; we mean it. Pocket Informant 8 doesn't just simply let you work with your daily events through lists and grids, but with the new Events and Journal views you can look at your life's past and future in an easy cohesive environment. Even create contact links within your appointment or tasks' subject and notes let you quickly access a named contact without having to resort to links or a search. Most suprisingly, this power doesn't come at the cost of a complicated, cluttered interface."

This has sure come a long way hasn't it? Pocket Informant is now in its 8th version and getting better all the time. Do any of you use it and if so, how do you like it? If you don't, what PIM do you use? You can purchase it from our Pocket PC Thoughts store or our Smartphone Thoughts store for $29.95 or download a trial to see if it suits your needs. Let us know what you think. 

Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
efjay
Theorist

Good but bloated. I have a registered copy for Pocket PC's and I dont use it because of the huge space it takes up. Contacted the developer on having the option to install just the modules I needed (Calendar, Tasks) and was told no. Now looking to buy SBSH's Calendar Touch which is lighter and cheaper.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
doogald
Oracle

I used to, then I was using Agenda Fusion. I agree that they are both too big. I'm just using stock PIM apps now (and grumbling through the features that are missing.)

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
alese
Philosopher

Well, for me it's the second "PIM" application that I install on my device. First is E-Wallet with registration codes for all my SW and third is PhatPad.
It's also probably the most used application on my device.
It's not small and it's not the quickest, but the same goes also for Outlook on the desktop.
The reality is that with PI I could (and I sometimes I do) live without Outlook. I only wish it would be better integrated with mail.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

I use Agenda One on my Moto Q9 Global. The stock PIM was bad enough that I felt it needed to be replaced.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
fromamerica
Pupil

PI 8 is the first piece of software I install on any new mobile device I get. I have to admit, now that the contacts functions of the devices are getting better, I tend to use PI less for contacts. The To Do list is what I use it for. It has a great capacity to prioritize and use with projects categories. A combination of MyLife Organized and PI helps me stay up to date with my life. I use Outlook to sync between the two. PI still has the functions I need in the calendar areas as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default I love it!

Yeah, I have PI 8. I've been using PI for a few years now. I like it for the text in the month view. With a vga screen that's very useful! It drops jaws when people with other pda's see my calendar view. It's a must have on any pocket pc I have.

I still don't use much of it's functionality but I'm using a little more here and there I think.

I also like the access to email and call logs from in it's contacts.

My current device is an i-mate Ultimate 6150 with WinMo Pro 6.1.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

I use it because it is more useful than Outlook Mobile by leaps and bounds, but at the same time I would have to agree it is a bloated program. I doubt if I use more than 30 to 40% of its features.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I've been using PI since the 2005 version. I've always been impressed with it. It's powerful and configurable. The weak link is Outlook. I wish Alex would release a desktop version of PI.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Yahdie
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Good but bloated. I have a registered copy for Pocket PC's and I dont use it because of the huge space it takes up.....
I agree, I've been using it for years but on my newest device, I never got around to installing it.
It has been about a month without it and I don't miss it at all, well, except the eyecandy.
I find that the standard PIM on my WM6 device does everything that I need it to do, including looking up contacts in the GAL without having to exit the program!
Yes I'm aware that that feature is included now but, it's not worth the upgrade price IMHO.