Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default iFlyz: The Portable Media Holding Solution

http://www.iflyz.com

"Inspired by you, the consumer, iFlyz was born after spending tireless hours traveling and watching as passengers tired to master a way to watch their media. Either you hold it, share the holding responsibilities with someone or rig it up a cup of some sort. Every option leaves you annoyed and with a slight kink in your neck, just reassuring you that flying is sheer joy. iFlyz introduces hands-free viewing while traveling, allowing you to relax and enjoy your downloadable movie or TV show while flying."

It's hard to get a handle on how compact this is, but it's a brilliant idea for anyone that travels a great deal and wants a better way to hold their media playback device. I know I could have used this product many times in the past! It would work equally well on a Zune, a Windows Mobile smartphone, or any other number of devices. The product is available for pre-order ($29.95 USD within the USA, $34.95 to Canada, and $36.95 elsewhere in the world, shipping included) and they'll be shipping them out come February.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 AM
makicr
Intellectual

Unless that suction cup has a lever to create a strong seal, I don't want my PMP hanging from that. Even if it falls a few inches, that is a few inches too far. That, and any device with a textured back would be unable to benefit from the stand.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I've been looking for something more like a universal kickstand that you would stick to the back that is very thin so it does not interfere with docks, etc.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

I'd feel more comfortable using something like Brando's "Universal Windshield Holder" as it uses friction to hold the device in place. That in combination with one of those weighted car mount bases would accomplish the same thing, at about the same price. I just don't know if I would trust something that holds onto my device with a suction cup. Some devices don't have a smooth enough surface for that to be effective.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM
mbranscum
Thinker

That looks great until your iphone with a glass cover comes loose from the suction cup, drops a few feet then shatters!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default PDA Holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch Tan View Post
I'd feel more comfortable using something like Brando's "Universal Windshield Holder" as it uses friction to hold the device in place. That in combination with one of those weighted car mount bases would accomplish the same thing, at about the same price. I just don't know if I would trust something that holds onto my device with a suction cup. Some devices don't have a smooth enough surface for that to be effective.
I too thought the suction cup was the weak point here. There are plenty of PDA/GPS/phone universal mounts that would probably work better with most devices. The downside is that those mounts would be larger (and therefore harder to fit in a carry-on bag) and might not work with larger devices (like a PSP?).

However, I do think the clamp is a good idea. Weighted bases that I've seen are large, heavy and would take up more space on the table. Those are all undesirable in a plane.

Steve

Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA View Post
However, I do think the clamp is a good idea. Weighted bases that I've seen are large, heavy and would take up more space on the table. Those are all undesirable in a plane.
Yeah, the weighted bases are kind of big. The problem I've had with clamps in the past is that I've had surfaces that were too thin, or awkward (like a bulging edge) for the clamp to reliably latch onto.

Of course, one could always make a hat/visor that you could latch your PMP to. I'm sure they could make it look very cool.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
tbird
Ponderer

Its a good idea but I agree the suction cup makes me a bit nervous.
I do a lot of traveling and while I would like a device to clamp on the tray in front of me I really don't need something else to haul around with me.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Swappable Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
Its a good idea but I agree the suction cup makes me a bit nervous.
I think a suction cup is OK if you don't have any other options, but why not have the best of both worlds? Make the device with a swappable head (one head is terminated with a suction cup, another with a piece that fits GPS/phone mounts, etc.).

You might also be able to do that with the base, allowing the clamp, a weighted base, a magnetic base, etc.

After that, you basically have a gooseneck with various bases and holders. (If iFlyz tries to patent that idea, you saw it here first. )

Steve