Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Motorola Not Ditching Windows Mobile After All?

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=6050

"Sources are repudiating earlier rumors that indicated bad news for Motorola's handset division... Also dispelled is a rumor that Motorola would stop manufacturing Windows Mobile-based smartphones in favor of Google's Android operating system. In an interview with Computerworld.com, Brian Viscount, Motorola's Vice President of Marketing for Mobile Enterprise Computing said that the handset division, 'remains 100 percent committed to Windows Mobile.'"

This is good news to hear as the previous Motorola rumors seemed suspect to me. Not too long ago we heard reports of Motorola opening up an office in Seattle to work closer with the Windows Mobile team. To have them just drop Windows Mobile would seem like a foolish business move to make after dumping all of that money into opening new offices and relocating staff there. Good to hear these rumors are not true. Motorola might not be the most fun Windows Mobile handset maker in the lot, but the Motorola Q and Q9 variants are all solid devices.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Maybe they could make a great WM flip phone. Isn't one as AFAIK, great or otherwise. They had some decent ones at one point, MPX200, 300 (which I don't think was released, but they were a bit thick for the time period. iMate (HTC) showed you could cram WM into a flip phone the size of a RAZR with the smartflip, but that device had some issues. (I had one) There are those folks that like flip phones, and scads that like the RAZR form factor. Wouldn' surprise me if a RAZR form factor WM phone sold well. There is even enough real estate on the bottom half to conjur up a half decent keyboard, and make the top half a VGA portrait screen.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

The MPx220 was a great design for a flip phone. I wish they released an updated version of that... without the problems that plagued the previous model.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default WM Flip Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Maybe they could make a great WM flip phone. Isn't one as AFAIK, great or otherwise.
HTC made the StarTrek WM flip phone. There's also the Pantech PN-820, which was still available at Verizon Wireless until recently.

Steve