Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default The Rise And Fall Of The Music Industry

http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=13

Yesterday on National Public Radio's "Fresh Air" program, Terry Gross interviewed Steve Knopper, a Rolling Stone contributing editor, on the history of the recording industry from the end of the vinyl era to the future. Of course, DRM and content protection are discussed at length, but are not the sole topic. Also discussed are the differences in the market caused by the advent of the CD, home computers, DAT, CD burner, MP3 player and on to the future where the CD may cease to exist and the music industry itself may struggle for relevance. Anyone that has ever downloaded a song illegally or has done so legally and then fought with DRM issues with their device(s) will enjoy this show. It lasts roughly 30 minutes. The main article link takes you to the RSS feed that you can copy and paste into your favorite podcasting software. It aired yesterday, but the RSS feed is showing it as a January 15 show. You'll know right away if you have the wrong one because it starts right into the story. Alternatively, you can download the MP3 file directly or use the WMA stream to whatever device or desktop you have.

Be sure to listen to the show before disputing anything. You may be surprised at some of the conclusions presented by Mr. Knopper.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I'm only at the 25 minute mark, but I'll dispute his point that iTunes works with other MP3 players and that the "wall have come down" - maybe he just mis-spoke, but he's saying that because the DRM has been removed, iTunes works with non-iPods. The content you buy from iTunes can be used on other devices, but that's a very different thing than being able to purchase, download, and transfer said music to your Creative Sansa, Zune, etc.

Very interesting interview though overall! Will most post more once I finish listening to it.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Really good interview - I've added the book to my Amazon wish list. I'm not sure that I fully buy into the idea that artists don't need record labels any more - I think they do, at least until radio stations are willing to do what they're supposed to do: play music that the DJs think is good. Radio still gets a lot of listeners - I heard in 2008 listeners actually grew in number - and I sometimes hear new singles on the radio before I hear them elsewhere. I can count on one hand the number of artists that I've purchased CDs from due to discovering them only online - I think that part of the system has to evolve more...and it will.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I'm only at the 25 minute mark, but I'll dispute his point that iTunes works with other MP3 players and that the "wall have come down" - maybe he just mis-spoke, but he's saying that because the DRM has been removed, iTunes works with non-iPods.
I am hoping he was just trying to be simplistic for the lay audience. It should be true that the file from iTunes can be played anywhere, I think you are right, chances of any non-Apple device connecting and syncing to iTunes is slim and none, and Slim just left town.

It is enough to make me consider installing iTunes in a VM to buy music. My understanding is the Zune can play non-DRM'd AAC files. My primary store is Amazon's MP3 store. I'd use iTunes as my secondary. I'll use Zune marketplace when hell freezes over.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Really good interview - I've added the book to my Amazon wish list. I'm not sure that I fully buy into the idea that artists don't need record labels any more - I think they do, at least until radio stations are willing to do what they're supposed to do: play music that the DJs think is good. Radio still gets a lot of listeners - I heard in 2008 listeners actually grew in number - and I sometimes hear new singles on the radio before I hear them elsewhere. I can count on one hand the number of artists that I've purchased CDs from due to discovering them only online - I think that part of the system has to evolve more...and it will.
That is strange - totally opposite of me. I haven't listened to the radio in 3 years - other than occasionally for news. 100% of my music purchases in the last few years have come from:
  • new stuff by artists I like
  • finding "sounds like" stuff on the internet
  • music I hear from TV shows, commercials and movies.
  • Seeing what the .99c of the day CD from Amazon sounds like.
Everyone is different of course, but perhaps there are more and more people like me that are making the model this guy proposes more feasible.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
My understanding is the Zune can play non-DRM'd AAC files.
Yes, correct.

Quote:
My primary store is Amazon's MP3 store. I'd use iTunes as my secondary. I'll use Zune marketplace when hell freezes over.
Why the vitrol for the Zune Marketplace? Upwards of 90% of their tracks are in MP3 format now...they're going the same route that Apple is (and in fact led the way compared to iTunes).

Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
100% of my music purchases in the last few years have come from:
  • new stuff by artists I like
  • finding "sounds like" stuff on the internet
  • music I hear from TV shows, commercials and movies.
  • Seeing what the .99c of the day CD from Amazon sounds like.
I think what works for people in the US will be different for everyone else - for instance, virtually every "music discovery service" out there today is blocked for anyone without a US IP address. So all those services are out. I hadn't thought of movies and TV shows, but now that I think about it I have discovered a fair number of new artists that way (Sia, Marie Digby, etc.).

The model is definitely changing, but it needs to be more world-wide focused.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Why the vitrol for the Zune Marketplace? Upwards of 90% of their tracks are in MP3 format now...they're going the same route that Apple is (and in fact led the way compared to iTunes).
Customer service.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
<shrug> No company is perfect; there will always be screw-ups, bad customer service etc. I'm sure I can find multiple negative stories about iTunes, Amazon's MP3 store, etc.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Windows Mobile & AAC

Quote:
My understanding is the Zune can play non-DRM'd AAC files.
Even if the Zune can play AAC, Windows Mobile can't, right? (At least, not the standard Windows Media Player; Core Player will work, I assume.)

Like you, I'd consider using iTunes to buy music now that most DRM is gone, but I use my WinMo device as my media player, so I believe that I need MP3 (or WMA).

Steve