Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Tame Your Phone This New Year

http://pocketmax.net/phoneAlarm.html

Back in the day (e.g., 5 years ago), I realized that my shiny new Pocket PC Phone needed taming. It would beep at strange times, it would vibrate loud enough to be heard, and generally could be a nuissance during such things as "attending a lecture" or "taking an exam" or "sitting in a meeting". Hopefully this post will help you tame such a device in time to save your dignity and prevent embarassment in 2009!

The first product I used to tame a device was from a company named PocketConcepts called MeetingMute. MeetingMute had a feature I found to be totally great - it could mute my phone during appointments depending on the category I assigned to the appointment. So for important stuff, like classes or meetings, the "Mute Phone" category was created. For less important meetings (e.g., a casual lunch date with friends) the phone could remain noisy. Today I use PhoneAlarm Pro by PocketMax (Screenshot above) to accomplish this same goal and more. PhoneAlarm features a today screen plugin, mute based on category, multiple profiles, skinnable interface, and more. For between €14.50 and €18.50 (for Pro), the price is well worth the ability to set your phone and forget it - confident it won't be embarassing you in public. Now that I've shared my tip for taming your phone, feel free to share your own or talk about other products you find valuable for keeping your phone "discreet"!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

I've been using SPB Phone Suite to 'tame' my device. I have it on automatic profiles and have been very happy with it's ability to not only use appointments as rules but hardware as well.

A couple of rules I've set up:
Sleeping - Busy + Sleep Category
Meeting - Busy + Meeting Category
Movies - Busy + Movies Category
Headset - when Headset plugged or BT Headset connected
Cradle - when device is plugged to my PC

when conditions aren't met it defaults to my Nomal profile.

Last edited by bnycastro; 01-19-2009 at 01:32 PM..