Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Motorola Prepares For Layoffs, Focuses on Google's Android

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3804

"Phone Scoop has learned that Motorola's handset division is expecting a large round of layoffs as soon as this week, according to someone familiar with Motorola's plans. The layoffs are confirmed to be significant and may amount to 50% of the entire handset operation... Motorola is prepared to trim the number of new phones it brings to market down to just a dozen per year, and the only smartphones it will produce will be based on Google's Android platform."

I always hate to hear of layoffs like this, and in this economy, I am getting especially tired of it as another large one seems to come every few days. I am not surprised to hear they are going to use only one platform for their smartphones. Their success with Windows Mobile has been sporadic, though it would be hard to argue that the Moto Q is a device loved by many. Will you miss Motorola as a Windows Mobile handset maker?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Whether or not MS intends to have less WM devices out there, maybe it is just going to work out that way.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Didn't one of the higher ups from Motorola accidentally mention they were closely working with Microsoft on Windows Mobile 6.5 and even opening an office in Seattle and what-not? I would hate to see Motorola stop producing Windows Mobile handsets but I wouldn't mind an Android device with the keyboard of the Q9 *drool*

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Is there a spelling mistake in the title? Should it be 'Prepares'?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
Is there a spelling mistake in the title? Should it be 'Prepares'?
Yup. Textpad does a good job on spell checking my articles, but I don't run the titles through it. Maybe I should.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
caywen
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to caywen
Default Microsoft has been in denial for 2 years

Microsoft just hasn't followed Andy Grove's time-tested motto: only the paranoid survive. I think Microsoft took a look at iPhone and thought it could half-ass its way with WinMo for half a decade. You know, since Apple has always been about sleekness and functionality anyways, that gives Microsoft an excuse to continue to be clunky. iPhone's success must be a fluke, they probably thought. Apple just got lucky. There's nothing to the fact that their SDK is modern and that their AppStore is exactly what developers were looking fore. Bah! Who cares if most of their WinMo developers already switched their focus - WinMo is the hotness!

Gotta keep that WinMo7 info super secret, you know? Because if Apple, Palm, and Google see what we're working on, well that would be terrible! Sorry devs, no future roadmap for you. But here's a new version of Visual Studio that contain nothing more than a slightly updated SDK.

*rolls eyes*

Now Palm pre is going to lock WinMo out of Sprint's market, and Motorola just pulled the rug from under them. Who's left? HTC? They're dating Android now, too.

Maybe Microsoft should release WinMo 6.5. I'm sure new icons and bundling Windows Live Mobile will be a surefire way to trounce the competition. And we'll even get whizzy menus in WinMo 7, I'm sure. And you'll *still* get to code in GDI and Win32. What a treat!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Rumor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
Didn't one of the higher ups from Motorola accidentally mention they were closely working with Microsoft on Windows Mobile 6.5 and even opening an office in Seattle and what-not?
That's what I questioned about this story, too. So far, the only place I've heard it from is PhoneScoop or blogs picking up PhoneScoop's story. The layoffs I don't find hard to believe, but Motorola abandoning Windows Mobile so soon after they said they were working more closely with Microsoft seems a stretch.

Of course, the economy isn't great, so maybe things have changed this quickly, but I'll believe when I see a Motorola press release.

Steve

Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Gloom & Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by caywen View Post
Now Palm pre is going to lock WinMo out of Sprint's market, and Motorola just pulled the rug from under them.
Did the iPhone lock Windows Mobile out of AT&T? No. So why will the Pre lock up Sprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caywen View Post
And you'll *still* get to code in GDI and Win32. What a treat!
When was the last time you wrote a Windows Mobile application? You can use MFC to write native code (and maybe something newer now) and .NET to write managed code. Those are far above Win32 (even if they use Win32 as their underpinnings).

Steve

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
caywen
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to caywen
Default Mfc

I admit it's been months since I last wrote a WinMo app.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 AM
hotdram
Theorist

Layoff announcement from CNN:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/14/news...jobs/index.htm

~Rob