Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Survey Of Mobile Browsers For Windows Mobile

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile...ows-mobile.aspx

"One of the things I like best about owning a Windows Mobile phone (a Samsung BlackJack II running Windows Mobile 6.1) is the diverse ecosystem of developers writing apps for my device. Whenever you have a strong developer community, you find a range of alternatives to match the way you like to work and play. When it comes to Web browsers for Windows Mobile, there are a number of options other than Microsoft’s Internet Explorer Mobile. Let’s look at a few of the browsers out there today, and one that’s in development."

Hulu video on Skyfire browser

Jim Causey gives a pretty good overview of alternatives to the rather anemic Pocket Internet Explorer currently on devices. Needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting the IE 6 on 6 browser we keep hearing about, but until then. if Pocket IE isn't meeting your needs, one of these alternatives may.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 AM
caywen
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to caywen
Default Ironic

How ironic that the very company who argues that the browser is part of the OS is the company that lacks a decent built-in browser on its mobile platform, and has to rely on third parties to improve on it.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Also note that I've published a VERY thorough roundup some days ago, comparing all the recently available browsers (and even iPhone's Safari): http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f323...iew-91980.html

Old 01-09-2009, 04:19 AM
JPD6825
Intellectual

I have one BIG challenge for a mobile browser: display a document passed down from our document server as a .cfm file. On my desktop IE will display these files by virtue of an Acrobat plug-in (I think). But WHAT will work for me on the WinMo side? Adobe Reader for PPC doesn't do it. This is my WinMo Holy Grail.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 AM
k1darkknight
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to k1darkknight Send a message via Yahoo to k1darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by caywen View Post
...the very company who argues that the browser is part of the OS...
Micro$oft...psshhhh! I use Firefox anyway, and even have the "IE Tab" extension for those VERY few sites that don't play nice with Firefox. Who needs IE anymore?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1darkknight View Post
Micro$oft...psshhhh! I use Firefox anyway, and even have the "IE Tab" extension for those VERY few sites that don't play nice with Firefox. Who needs IE anymore?
I always love the posts with "Micro$oft" in them. Reminds me of the old Team OS/2 zealots from 1996. Ahhhh... memories.