Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default New SD Spec Allows for 2 TB Cards

http://www.sdcard.org/home/

"The next-generation SDXC (eXtended Capacity) memory card specification, announced today at the 2009 International CES, dramatically improves consumers’ digital lifestyles by providing the portable storage and speed needed to store weeks of high-definition video, years of photo collections and months of music to mobile phones, cameras and camcorders, and other consumer electronic devices. The new SDXC specification provides up to 2 terabytes storage capacity and accelerates SD interface read/write speeds to 104 megabytes per second this year, with a road map to 300 megabytes per second."

Don't get too excited, remember this is just the specification we are dealing with here.  I'm imagining it will be many years before we actually see 2 TB of storage in something the size of an SD card. 

Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Hard Drive Replacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gohlke View Post
Don't get too excited, remember this is just the specification we are dealing with here.  I'm imagining it will be many years before we actually see 2 TB of storage in something the size of an SD card.
True, but as was mentioned at Mobility Site, if you get to about 256 GB (only four steps from today's 16 GB cards), you might be able to start replacing hard drives in laptops (currently about 250 - 500 GB). Today it would take too many cards, but at 256 GB, even if laptops come standard with 1-2 TB by then, you'd only need 4-8 cards. You could put a card reader bank where the hard drive used to go.

They might cost more and be slower, so they wouldn't be for budget-conscious people or niche applications, but how cool would that be?

Steve

Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

very nice. and if the 300mb/s is as fast as my 20mb/s card (ie, about 100kb/s) then we'll all be living in the fast lane!

who knows, in 5yrs or so WM8 may have 20mb binaries to make up for our extra space!
and 50mp digicams will roll 50mb jpegs , so we'll still be short on space.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Stinger
Thinker

Apparently they're planning to start with 64GB cards. I can't wait to see phones that take these cards as it would allow me to carry around my entire music collection on one card.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Oh well. Time to buy new card readers again.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 PM
beq
Oracle

Will they also have the microSDXC (and I presume miniSDXC) formfactors as part of the SDXC standard? Would the microSDXC formfactor share the same 2TB theoretical max capacity and 104-300 MByte/sec theoretical speed limit as part of the specs?

Furthermore, does the SDXC standard specify a new set of Class-based minimum-sustained-speed ratings (like the Class 2/4/6 ratings for SDHC)? With 104-300 MByte/sec as the maximum speed limit, I hope we will see a lot faster (20MB/sec and up) minimum-speed ratings!

Devices adding SDXC slots will likely use a faster interface bus, which is a good thing at least. There have been too many devices with SD/SDHC slots that are too slow and pose as the bottleneck!

In the meantime, I wonder if most users will choose an SDXC reader that's based on 5Gbps USB 3.0 or (e)SATA (the current 3Gbps or the new 6GBps). It's interesting that all these new SD/USB/SATA developments are making a splash at the same time in CES...

Last edited by beq; 01-08-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default MiniSD Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beq View Post
Will they also have the microSDXC (and I presume miniSDXC) formfactors as part of the SDXC standard?
Probably, but isn't MiniSD kind of dead? I've seen some 4 GB MiniSDHC cards, but all of the 8 GB or higher cards I've seen advertised were either SD or MicroSD.

When I bought my Motorola Q9m, which has a MiniSD slot, it included a 128 MB MicroSD card and an adapter.

Steve

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
nmcclana
Pupil

Thank god! Another memory card format! I thought that SDHC was fat32, which should do 2TB.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 AM
k1darkknight
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to k1darkknight Send a message via Yahoo to k1darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcclana View Post
Thank god! Another memory card format! I thought that SDHC was fat32, which should do 2TB.
Well, at least they keep the same form factor with each new SD spec. Can you say Sony? I've ranted about Memorystick before, so I'll spare everyone here, this time.
As for SDHC and fat32. Yes, fat32 can do 2TB, but they put the 32GB limitation in as an artificial limit in the SDHC specification. It's not a technological limit, it's a format limit. Probably not the best example of foresight on the part of the SD planners, but SDXC seems to be the solution for the future.
At least they didn't wait until SDHC had been widely available for 3 or 4 years...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Maybe not that long.

I don't think it will be too long before we see 2TB cards. You can already buy a 16GB MicroSDHC for $70 and they are *much* smaller than the SD form factor. Two years ago, you may not have been able to get 2GB MicroSD cards and now they're like $5.