Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Pharos Announces the Traveler 137

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/p...37_7.90&cat=136

Pharos is at CES showing off its latest device, the Traveler 137, and there's enough in it to make the Touch HD quiver with fear. For starters, there's a Qualcomm MSM7201A processor running at 528MHz, 256MB RAM and 512MB ROM. There's also a crisp 3.5" touch screen with a resolution of 480 x 800, a 3.0-megapixel camera, a microSDHC slot, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, aGPS, an FM radio, and support for quad-band GSM/EDGE and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (1700/1900/2100MHz). The Traveler 137 hits stores this quarter at an MSRP of $599.95. Jump the break for the press release.

TORRANCE, Calif. - January 6, 2009 - On the cusp of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Pharos Science & Applications, Inc., a leading provider of location-based information and services, introduced the Traveler 137, an unlocked Windows Mobile phone distinguished by its slender profile, cool applications, and bright, 3.5 inch touch screen. The Consumer Electronics Association lauded the arrival of the Traveler 137 with its prestigious Innovations award and has displayed the stylish handset in the CES Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase. True to Pharos' roots in the navigation space, the Traveler 137 provides full-featured navigation with voice prompts on a pay-as-you-go basis that spares users an ongoing monthly fee. In an industry brimming with mobile devices, the Traveler 137 stands apart by offering users tremendous value on a powerful, sleek handset that runs on the GSM network of their choice. The Traveler 137 will be available late in the first quarter of 2009 from major retailers for a suggested price of $599.95.

"Windows Mobile opens up a world of choice and personalization for our partners and customers. The Traveler 137 from Pharos is a great example of how partners can build on the Windows Mobile platform and create unique phones based on their expertise," said Stephanie Ferguson, general manager, Mobile Communications Business, Microsoft. "Pharos has long been a leader in providing navigation solutions for Windows Mobile, and we're delighted to see this expertise in action with the Traveler 137."

"Most navigation solutions for smartphones only work when within a carrier coverage zone," said James Oyang, PhD, President, Pharos. "We've equipped the Traveler 137 with our hybrid navigation system that follows you wherever you want to go and charges you only when you actually use it."

The Traveler 137

Weighing just 4.9 ounces and encased in a sleek, stylish black case, the Traveler 137 combines everything users expect in a multimedia handset with the complete suite of productivity applications in Windows Mobile. The 3.5 inch touch screen display dominates the device, rendering web pages and images in 65 thousand colors and 480 x 800 pixels. E-mail, web browsing and multimedia are a snap thanks to 3.5G connectivity with download speeds up to 7.2 megabits per second (Mbps). A three megapixel camera records picture and video while a second camera on the front of the handset enables users to participate in video conferences. The Traveler 137 comes preloaded with a touch screen keyboard, SPB Mobile Shell with touch-and-sweep user interface, and Microsoft Office Mobile suite, Media Player, and Live Search, a service that provides free information about traffic, gas prices, movie times and weather.

Smart Navigator, Pay-As-You-Go GPS Navigation

The Traveler 137 features Pharos' Smart Navigator software, a unique hybrid navigation system that earned a CES Innovations award for outstanding design and engineering. As a hybrid navigation system, Smart Navigator works both on-board and off-board the device. Thus, even when the Traveler 137 is out of a carrier coverage zone, the user has the ability to display maps, create routes and navigate door-to-door. Initially, maps of the United States will be provided free of charge. Pay-as-you-go maps are available for Canada, Western Europe and Eastern Europe on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. The service will soon be extended to include maps of China, Russia, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and elsewhere.

Traveler 137 Specifications

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional

Hardware partner: Pharos works closely with Inventec

Processor: Qualcomm MSM 7201A 528MHz

Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM, 512MB Flash ROM

Phone: unlocked GSM quad band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, EDGE / GPRS, Tri-band 3G, 1700/1900/2100 MHz, UMTS 384Kb/s, HSDPA 7.2Mb/s, HSUPA 2Mb/s

Talk time: up to 4 hours talk time and 200 hours standby time

Display: 3.5" TFT LCD with touch panel, 480 x 800 Wide-VGA with 65,000 colors

Wireless: GPS aGPS compatible, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, BluetoothTM v2.1 + EDR , FM tuner

Camera: 3 megapixel for picture or video, .3 megapixel on the front for video conference

Expansion: USB 2.0, micro SD slot support SDHC, stereo audio jack

Battery: 1380 mAh Li-Ion, rechargeable/replaceableSize: 4.60in (L) x 2.40in (W) x 0.51in (H)

Weight: 4.9 ounces

Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
efjay
Theorist

Are the 3g frequencies correct? A high-end WM device with T-Mo compatible 3G and MSRP around $600? If this thing only had onboard storage it would be a perfect upgrade for my Omnia but all that space is hard to give up. Still a good device, maybe I will stay with WM for a while longer.

Edit: checked their site and it does appear this is the first high-end WM device to support T-Mo's 3G - and its not an HTC to boot! My big problem is GPS software, I currently use OCN which is locked to the card it comes on and there arent any decent alternatives that come on CD. However I just found this ZorroGPS: navigation software+map in memory for mobile phone/PND which may be a solution. Very tempting, one more item to make the picture complete and thats PoinuUI Home 2, have to see how turns out to see if it will make a good UI replacement for the stock WM gui.

Last edited by efjay; 01-06-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Now, that I've made a mistake with G1 and lock myself up in T-Mo contract for another 2 years, I must admit, I am very interested!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

No ATT 3G?

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
Now, that I've made a mistake with G1 and lock myself up in T-Mo contract for another 2 years, I must admit, I am very interested!
Look at it this way... given how cool this one sounds, just think how much better the newest phones will be when your two years are up! (I'm just starting the second year of my HTC Touch contract and am still managing to control myself.)

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
randalllewis
Thinker

eh, my Touch HD is not quivering in fear.

But I am pleased to see someone else bringing some design to WinMo, even if this effort look a lot like it was done by HTC.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
eh, my Touch HD is not quivering in fear.
But it should Looks like MS getting ready for a big announcement in Feb. WM7 are coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
But I am pleased to see someone else bringing some design to WinMo, even if this effort look a lot like it was done by HTC.
I would say ETen. All the previous Pharos phones are re-branded ETen product line.