Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Conduits Releases Pocket Player 4.0

http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

"Conduits Technologies, Inc., announced today the release of Pocket Player 4.0, an alternative media player for Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC and Smartphone. Pocket Player aims to satisfy consumers who demand more from a dynamic media player on a mobile device, and recently won Best Audio at the 2008 Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine Best Software Awards for its Pocket PC and Smartphone editions. Pocket Player 4.0 introduces AAC and M4A playback and podcast subscriptions, as well as enhanced MP3 support and other improvements. Pocket Player 4.0 is fully compatible with all Windows Mobile 6.1, Windows Mobile 6, and Windows Mobile 5.0 devices."

A free trial version of Pocket Player 4.0 is available. If, after trying it, you like what you see and want the full version, you can grab it from our affiliate software store (Windows Mobile Classic/Professional, Windows Mobile Standard) for $19.95. However, if you purchased Pocket Player 3.x on or after December 1, 2008, you're eligible for a free upgrade; if you purchased any version of Pocket Player before that date, then it's just $9.95 for an upgrade.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Wow... AAC+ support! If anyone's wondering, just tried it out and it works well. I subscribe to DI.fm -- they also offer free stations in WMA and MP3 format, but if you're a paying subscriber, the commercial free AAC-Plus streams are available. Until now, these links haven't worked in any WM player as they involve authentication which not even CorePlayer does. PocketPlayer does -- and as I'm stuck with T-Mobile EDGE connection on my device, I'm now able to take advantage of that 64k stream that sounds better than even the 128k MP3 one.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

I purchased Pocket Player ages ago, and have enjoyed many free upgrades until now. Its high time Conduits made some money off me, because I use Pocket Player daily. It is the single most important program on my x51v.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 AM
buckyg
Thinker

I've been away from Pocket Player for awhile, using Coreplayer for all my multimedia. Tried the new version, love the features they've added in the meanwhile. It's so much more intuitive to use Pocket Player's media library. CorePlayer has it beat for video capabilities, but Pocket Player's my audio player now.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyg View Post
...CorePlayer has it beat for video capabilities, but Pocket Player's my audio player now.
I agree 100% -- nothing touches CorePlayer when it comes to handling of video files -- but the interface is a bit klunky, and I just don't get their library functionality (you shouldn't have to figure something like that out). Nothing compares to PocketPlayer for audio though, organization and access to all things audio couldn't be more intuitive...

Last edited by benjimen; 01-06-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
nmcclana
Pupil

Same here. I upgraded more to kick in 10 bucks than for the new features. I'm not sure most users will see enough value to upgrade, but if they're looking for a great audio player, now is a great time to pick up pocket player.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcclana View Post
...I'm not sure most users will see enough value to upgrade...
I think you're wrong... One change in 4.0 is the handling of dropped streams. Every other WM media player, including earlier versions of PocketPlayer, would attempt to resume a dropped stream for a bit, and then timeout. For me, the 'timeout' period has always been to short. On a jog or a bikeride, I continually had to take the player out of my pocket and tap play to get the stream going again. With the new version, PocketPlayer attempts to retrieve a dropped stream continuously, or until you press the stop button. That feature alone is worth the $10...

For those of us stuck in EDGE world with T-Mobile, the ability to access AAC+ streams is another 'worth the $10' addition. A 64k AAC+ stream sounds great, and is easily handled by EDGE connection speeds.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
nmcclana
Pupil

I'm pro AAC+ streams. I upgraded for the podcast download capability. But it doesn't really seem to work.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcclana View Post
I'm pro AAC+ streams. I upgraded for the podcast download capability. But it doesn't really seem to work.
Lucky for you, it's one of the better supported media players on the market. Remember when the library feature was first added? Now look at it, very slick. I'm sure you'll see similar progress with the podcast feature. They put a lot of work in PocketPlayer -- something noticable in every update, beyond just the bug fixes...

Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
I agree 100% -- nothing touches CorePlayer when it comes to handling of video files -- but the interface is a bit klunky, and I just don't get their library functionality (you shouldn't have to figure something like that out). Nothing compares to PocketPlayer for audio though, organization and access to all things audio couldn't be more intuitive...
It's indeed different than most of the other titles, but can be figured out once you understand how multiple selections and selection-based auto-filtering work. Also see my Metatag Library bible ( http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f323...ble-90188.html ) for more info.