Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Rent Your Phone From Rentoble

http://www.rentobile.com/

Rentoble will allow you to rent the latest phone from the four major US carriers, or rent an unlocked GSM phone to use wherever you want. When you are done, just send the phone back and pick out a new device. They don't have every phone the carriers handle. For example, for T-Mobile they only have the G1 and Sidekick LX, and for AT&T a couple of Blackberry's and the Samsung Epix. The only Windows Mobile devices I saw were on the Sprint and Verizon networks.

If you are the kind of person that is constantly buying a phone, then selling it after several months when something new catches your eye, this might be a cheaper alternative.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual

"...and the Samsung Epix. The only Windows Mobile devices I saw were on the Sprint and Verizon networks"

The Epix is a WM and is available on AT&T. I agree that its too bad they don't cover more of the more interesting WM devices.

m.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I was going to comment on the Epix being WM and AT&T, but mmidgley beat me to it.

This sounds like an interesting business model. I might look into it in the future. I'm starting to build up quite a repository of old phones and devices. Renting might be a better way for smartphone owners to work. You could probably change devices a lot more frequently and easily that way.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

This seems like a good idea to me. I'd love to try out a phone for a month to see if it is worth purchasing.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgley View Post
"...and the Samsung Epix. The only Windows Mobile devices I saw were on the Sprint and Verizon networks"

The Epix is a WM and is available on AT&T. I agree that its too bad they don't cover more of the more interesting WM devices.

m.
Thanks MMidgley. I cannot keep up with all of the device names anymore. I remember when there were 3 devices, the Casio 125, iPAQ 3600, HP 540. After that, I began to lose it.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Thanks MMidgley. I cannot keep up with all of the device names anymore. I remember when there were 3 devices, the Casio 125, iPAQ 3600, HP 540. After that, I began to lose it.
And that was back when the iPAQ and the Jornada (HP540) were from two distinct companies.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Not For Me

I checked a couple of prices on the site. For a Verizon Samsung Omnia, they wanted $36 per month ($24/month for members). For a Verizon BlackBerry Storm, it was $45/month ($30 for members). Those prices don't sound too bad, but they leave a lot of unanswered questions.

1. Do those rates include any service? At those prices, I'm guessing that they don't, so you'll still have to pony up monthly service, which makes the deal a lot less interesting.

2. If some level of service is included, what is it? Basic phone, U.S., unlimited? Is there any data plan included?

3. How do you handle number portability? For GSM phones, you can just plug a SIM in (if you have one). CDMA phones means a trip to the carrier, I suspect.

4. When a phone is returned, do they wipe it to avoid sending personal information to another person? Their Privacy Policy didn't seem to say.

Their privacy policy did say, "From time to time, we make our mailing list available to carefully screened companies whose products we believe will be of interest to you. We do not share email addresses for this purpose. If you prefer to have your name withheld, please contact us and let us know." So it's an opt-out system, not opt-in.

For people who like to get a phone, customize it and keep it for a while, I don't see any point to this service. It seems this service is only for people who switch phones every month and can afford an additional hefty charge.

A company that I used to work for had a similar rental system created. It made more sense to me, though, because it wasn't for phones but another hot technology product. But Rentoble doesn't seem like a service I'd use.

Steve

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
wesbenter
Neophyte

It looks like a great deal to me. Think about it:

$60/year membership
$34/month for a Storm

Total: $468/year.

WITHOUT A CONTRACT, that is how much you would pay for 1 phone, a year.
WITH A CONTRACT, it is about double the price.
SO, if you want or are on a contracy, and you get at least 2 new phones a year (like me), it is a break-even.

BUT, think about this: You no longer have to get a contract. You can SWITCH to any carrier at any time on a month-to-month contract to get the newest phone.

Unfortunately, they are sold out of Storms, iPhones, and Bolds, which are what I wanted .

I guess they are picking up a customer base!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbenter View Post
It looks like a great deal to me. Think about it:

$60/year membership
$34/month for a Storm

Total: $468/year.

WITHOUT A CONTRACT, that is how much you would pay for 1 phone, a year.
WITH A CONTRACT, it is about double the price.
SO, if you want or are on a contracy, and you get at least 2 new phones a year (like me), it is a break-even.

BUT, think about this: You no longer have to get a contract. You can SWITCH to any carrier at any time on a month-to-month contract to get the newest phone.
With very few exceptions (maybe the iPhone), I don't think you have to get a contract for most phones (at least in the U.S.). So switching carriers isn't a big deal.

Also, your cost comparisons seem flawed. Even if I have to pay slightly more to buy a phone for one year without a contract, I can sell the phone on eBay and make that difference back. With a rental, the best I can hope for is to return it and not get charged any extra for damage (and their contract says that decision is at their sole discretion).

If I rented a phone from them, I'd make sure I took photos of it before I sent it back....

Steve