Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Energize Your Batteries from the Sun

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/22/...ailed-pictured/

"You don't usually equate CES with big time Energizer introductions, but this year is going to be different. While our fingers are still crossed that a 50-foot drum-toting bunny is seen storming around in the Vegas heat, we do know that said outfit will be bringing along its minty fresh Zinc Air Prismatic batteries, not to mention the newly unveiled Rechargeable Solar Charger. The above pictured device will boast a USB port to power an assortment of devices, and it can also be charged from an AC outlet if you just can't seem to locate the sun. Better still, its weatherproof nature should make it suitable for argonauts, and it'll only run $49.99 with a pair of rechargeable cells when it lands next summer."

I've tried some solar chargers over the years and never been totally impressed.  They've either been poorly designed or performed poorly.  With built in USB charging as well as the ability to charge batteries (assuming AA's and hopefully AAA's) it should cover a pretty wide variety of devices.  From a design perspective, this seems to be pretty well thought out, so I'll probably be grabbing one when they come out to see how it performs.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

I tried a bit to see what sort of amperage they provide, and couldn't find anything. One thing that I've found makes a big difference is the amperage. For example, I have a cheapo auto-USB adapter, but the amperage is so low, that when I try to charge my phone, it'll only trickle charge at best. If the screen is on, it'll actually lose power! I hope the solar cells they are using can give enough juice!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

it does so much, i doubt much space left for energy storage inside.
the solar cells look so small too...