Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default What Did You Get For Christmas This Year?

I hope everyone that celebrates it had a Merry Christmas yesterday. For the first time, the annual "What did you get" post is across all of the Thoughts Media sites, so we should see an interesting mix of items.

Ho Ho Ho!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed
Default Redfly

I asked for and got a Celio Redfly for my Sprint Touch. I know that many people don't think much of them, but with the price drop it seemed like a reasonable way to get a keyboard and bigger screen for my phone, which is my primary mobile device.

After playing with it a bit, I'm a bit disappointed in the keyboard. It is very small and harder to touch-type on than my old Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard from ThinkOutside. The screen on the Redfly is very nice, especially when reading email, but I was surprised at how many applications don't scale properly to it (or work at all). The Opera 9.x browser beta is one big disappointment. It doesn't work at all on the Redfly. I guess I'll be back to the lousy old PIE when I'm connected to the device.

I'm going to spend a lot more time getting to know the Redfly before I render a final verdict. I do really like the size of it and it appears sturdy and very well built. It looks great, too.

The kids got a Wii and they and I have been playing a ton of Wii Sports and Lego Star Wars. Fun stuff!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:55 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

This year I didn't receive any tech, but I certainly gave alot to the family.

My oldest son got an eMachine 1200 PC to replace his dead desktop
My youngest son received a Compaq laptop that I bought at Walmart for $299

Both boys got new Nintendo DS because their current ones were falling apart.

Santa delivered an iPod Nano

My daughter finally convinced us to get her a cell phone

And I bought my dad a DLink wireless print server to share his new internet access to his two computers.

So I get the fun of setting everything up...

(Merry Christmas)

Steve

Old 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Ed Hansberry

My Christmas was pretty tech free for me as well. Kids got the Wii Fit and Rock Band 2, plus some other games. My stash consisted of a number of DVDs and books, which will keep me busy for the next week or so as I take some time off from work.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 PM
mwfielder
Ponderer

For me: Samsung Blu-Ray! (But I can't get it to connect to the network....grrr....)

For wifey: 40" LCD for the bedroom! (she actually asked for it)

Kids: WiiFit, PSP, iHome, some Wii games (Shaun White and Clone Wars were the best) and a Clone Trooper helmet (my personal favorite!)

Old 12-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default I got scammed!!!

I had a great Christmas but the blu-ray Narnia: Prince Caspian movie I got had two Memorex CD-R disc's instead of the movie and extra content blu-ray's. The digital copy disc was there and working. I didn't use it since that required registration and my sister-in-law, who bought it for me, is going to exchange it.

It was bought at Target and in shrink wrap with the sticker on the top and everything. I couldn't believe it. I also got Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on blu-ray and that was fine.

It was a great Christmas with lots of family, food, and other presents!

Luke 2:1-18

Old 12-26-2008, 05:20 PM
John London
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via MSN to John London
Thumbs up okay for me!

got a sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 lense for my nikon d200 and a few extras for my flash units. An asus eee pc 1000h. And finally a bose 3-2-1 for out bedroom (really the best fit for this type of unit).

In return I rebuilt my in-laws desktop because of a disk failure and setup a new laptop my niece got for xmas.

Not a bad year considering...

Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Lots of gift cards and cash which means my Christmas will officially start this weekend :-)

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Chris Gohlke

I treated myself to some tech in the weeks prior to Christmas. Picked up a 52" Sharp Aquos, a Sony BluRay player, and a second 22" monitor. My family usually avoids buying me tech, but I did get Seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter and a Wii Zapper and House of the Dead for Wii, so there will be some dead zombies in the next few days. Also, got a nice bottle of Scotch, Scotchity, Scotch, Scotch, Scotch.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Pete Paxton

Got a 32" LCD for the bedroom, an espresso maker, the Sony Digital Reader (mostly for my wife) and a bunch of ebooks including "The Charlemagne Pursuit." My son got one of those Zero Gravity RC cars. It's cool - really does go on walls and the ceiling. My wife asked him how he likes it and his reply was: "I'm not sure, I'll let you know when dad gives it back!"

Last edited by Pete Paxton; 12-26-2008 at 08:40 PM..