Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Sony Ericsson Switching from HTC to Mobinnova?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20081223PB200.html

"Sony Ericsson plans to outsource its second Windows Mobile-based smartphone to Taiwan-based Mobinnova, a handset maker under Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), instead of cooperating with its current production partner High Tech Computer (HTC), according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report."

For better or worse, Sony Ericsson is said to be switching from HTC to Mobinnova for its Windows Mobile devices. Perhaps the X1, which has hardly been the success story it could have been, has forced Sony Ericsson to look elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:04 AM
SomeAudioGuy
Neophyte
Send a message via Skype™ to SomeAudioGuy

Huh...
Not that HC couldn't use a little competition, but who are these guys? All I see on their site is the Ice (a really bad iphone clone). Are they the guys making the new i-Mates?

The X1's issues really just came down to timing. If SE could have gotten the design out the door faster they could've really drummed up some excitement. In the end they delayed too much, and completely underestimated the competition from their own ODM.

It's hard justifying the cost of the Xperia when you can find Touch Pro's for under $400 without a contract, and now around $200 with a two year contract.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I honestly don't know what Sony was thinking. Did they really believe they could compete with a $800 device? I don't like to be carrier locked, but its a nearly $600 difference!

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAudioGuy View Post
Are they the guys making the new i-Mates?
Yep, Mobinnova were behind the Ultimate 8502 and 9502. Unfortunately, they're not exactly stellar in build quality, so I hope for Sony Ericsson's sake, the next XPERIA doesn't end up in the same boat.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
I honestly don't know what Sony was thinking. Did they really believe they could compete with a $800 device? I don't like to be carrier locked, but its a nearly $600 difference!
They're Sony... of course they think they can charge more than anyone else!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Someone has to compete with Apple in the "overpriced hardware" market.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
Perhaps this is why they're switching manufacturers. This Mobinnova may have promised a lower cost off the assembly line.

Sony may thing that if manufacturing costs are cheaper then they can lower the price on their handsets and actually compete.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 12-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
But in order to do it they must come out with some hardware/software that is at least as good as the Apple one; The Experia is not...

Old 12-25-2008, 02:45 AM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
But in order to do it they must come out with some hardware/software that is at least as good as the Apple one; The Experia is not...
Its not that hard. Come out with half the features. Pick one feature that's been around forever and polish it well and make it seem like you invented it. Voila! You have an Apple product. The Xperia was too feature rich for that, I agree...

Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 AM
David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
Perhaps this is why they're switching manufacturers. This Mobinnova may have promised a lower cost off the assembly line.

Sony may thing that if manufacturing costs are cheaper then they can lower the price on their handsets and actually compete.
Wouldn't surprise me. I don't think HTC did a very good job for them (and honestly I'm starting to think that HTC doesn't do a very good job in general.)