Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Status Updates

Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Apologies for the Down-Time

Our Web hosting provider, The Planet, is generally pretty good - but they have significant struggles when it comes to DNS (Domain Name Servers). At least a couple of times a year, they'll have a complete failure with their DNS machines, and they always just shrug and say "We provide DNS as a courtesy for our customers, nothing more" - as if that's an excuse for not being able to offer a service that's reliable. That's what happened today - they had a complete DNS failure, so all of our sites (and thousands of others) were taken completely offline. We're going to take steps to help prevent this in the future.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:12 AM
programcsharp
Neophyte

I've had this issue before on other hosting providers. I highly recommend switching to dyndns. They're not just a dynamic dns company, but also do reliable global dns. 100% uptime since 2001: http://www.dyndns.com/about/why_dyndns.html

I'm not associated with them in any way, just a very happy user of their static dns services.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 AM
freitasm
Oracle

You beat me - I was going to suggest Dyndns. I have used then since the days of freebiew dynamic DNS, and made a donation - that gave me an unlimited upgrade. Since then I have used Dyndns as my DNS provider whenever the registrar wouldn't give me that option.

Top service...

Old 12-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

I had to deal with the Planet last year around a DNS issue. Not only were they completely unhelpful, but, since my boss was a legacy customer from several acquisitions prior, they completely mangled our DNS routing. Ugh.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Constant Caffeine
Intellectual

I did not mind the downtime. I was able to get something done at work. But seriously, I know you see this as an issue so I hope you can find an easy solution. Jason, perhaps now would be a good time to restart the subscriber program? Then you may have some extra cash on hand to help offset any additional costs.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Cold Flame
Ponderer
Default Another option...

Jason,

Someone else to consider:

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/

I've heard good things about them. My good friend uses them exclusively and refuses to use anyone else. Just thought I'd bring them to your attention too.

Cheers,

Cold Flame

Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Don't Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Our Web hosting provider, <a href="http://www.theplanet.com" target="_blank">The Planet</a>, is generally pretty good - but they have significant struggles when it comes to DNS (Domain Name Servers). At least a couple of times a year, they'll have a complete failure with their DNS machines, and they always just shrug and say "We provide DNS as a courtesy for our customers, nothing more" - as if that's an excuse for not being able to offer a service that's reliable.
What planet do they live on? (pun intended) Don't pay them for the equivalent of one day. When they complain, shrug and say "I provide payment as a courtesy for reliable service, nothing more."

Steve

Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
dunneldeen
Intellectual
Default Use your registrar

I might also suggest the possibility of using your registrar for DNS. GoDaddy will host your domain for free as long as you use them as registrar (which you appear to do.) Being their main business, they take DNS very seriously.