Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A Preview of Pointui 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrTX-hL_qkw

Now here's a nice looking user interface! I'm impressed with how fluid and smooth this is - although one video doesn't make this universally true, it sure seems like it's faster and smoother than TouchFLO 3D from HTC. Someone has to tell these guys though that their product name should have been written as PointUI - I can't imagine how many people see "Pointui" and pronnounce it "Pointuueyee". ;-)

Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
egads
Theorist

I hope they have an option to turn off all that useless animatiion. It looks neat and all till use use it for several days and find your self waiting for the icons to stop floating around...

I want a UI to be fast and snappy!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
I hope they have an option to turn off all that useless animatiion. It looks neat and all till use use it for several days and find your self waiting for the icons to stop floating around...
That's a good point - what looks like nice gee-whiz eye candy for the first time can quickly get really irritating when you've seen it for the 100th time. Good UI design is hard to balance.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I seem to remember there was another product being developed called PointUI out of Australia/New Zealand, that was around about a year ago. I followed it (and was registered on their website for updates, etc.), but they stopped work on it after they got a better contract.

That's probably why this looks similar to PointUI and has the '2' suffix...

(Actually, the TouchFlo 3D interface from HTC works pretty nicely on the TouchPro -- granted tho, it's got a VGA screen and a graphics processor to help it...)

Last edited by Don Tolson; 12-18-2008 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: ... update on TF3D

Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

It appears to me that the only reason this UI is "smoother" than TF3D is because HTC has removed the slide effect between the panels on its home screen in order to speed up changing from Home to Weather, for example. The original TF3D had more animation and people complained it was too slow. When the animation was removed in one of the ROM updates, there were complaints about the missing animation. I guess that proves Jason's point about balance. Pointui 2 is a nice looking UI but did not show me enough to make me go "oooh" like the first time I saw TF3D. I am really happy with the speed and flow of TF3D on the HD. My one complaint is that it doesn't go "deep enough" into WM.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
I seem to remember there was another product being developed called PointUI out of Australia/New Zealand, that was around about a year ago. I followed it (and was registered on their website for updates, etc.), but they stopped work on it after they got a better contract.
Hrm...I did some Googling, and it seems like it's still the same product - they just switched from calling it PointUI to calling it Pointui.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 AM
blazingwolf
Theorist

The company is called Pointui. The product is called Home. This version is Home 2. You can always check out more on their website. www.pointui.com

Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
TimeHunter
Pupil
Default V1 was nice on a touchscreen, but not for non

I was using this on my touchscreen WinMo 5 device, but went to a non touchscreen WinMo 6. When I tried it on that, it was not as usable. Several features could not be accessed using just a d-pad. Thankfully, I find the WinMo 6.1 interface quite usable and handy, so unless they decided to support non touchscreen devices better, I'll be sticking with the native interface.