Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default i-mate Jumps on Alternate UI Bandwagon

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008...e-61-i-mate-go/

"First things first... It's no TouchFLO 3D. Ok, now that we have that out of the way we do have to say that we're happy to see another company making an effort to tidy up the Windows Mobile UI a tad. Who knows how far away we really are from Windows Mobile 7 becoming a reality and in the meantime, even many Windows Mobile die hards seem to be losing patience with the very dated look of the OS. Samsung, HTC and Sony Ericsson aren't the only companies attempting to bandage their mobile OS of choice however, as i-mate has just announced its "i-mate Go" UI. No, it's not the catchiest name in the game, but those of you looking for high visibility and simple design for your i-mate UI should be pleased. i-mate Go is powered by VITO Winterface of course, a Windows Mobile UI enhancement that essentially started as an iPhone rip off and evolved into a slightly less obvious iPhone rip off."

Well, it isn't at all unexpected to see an alternate UI for Windows Mobile these days, which in itself is a bit sad. However, looking on the bright side, I suppose this truly signifies that i-mate is not dead, after struggling with the loss of HTC provided handsets. Still, I'd rather have one nice UI, rather than a patchwork of "improved" UIs floating around.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default i-mate post

I'm a little surprised you posted about the "i-mate Go" interface on the main page and nothing about i-mate releasing WM 6.1 updates for all 4 devices in their Ultimate line over the last few weeks. Many people were waiting a long time for the WM 6.1 update and some may still not know it's out there, ready for download, on imate.com

The release of WM 6.1 for their latest device may be an even better sign that the company is not dead.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Arrow waiting for i-mate

I was one of those waiting for i-mate to release a 6.1 rom for the 9502. It took a really long time! Then, the day it was released was the day I placed the 9502 in a box to ship it away to its new owner. I had been using the leaked rom version, so at least I had SDHC--but its sad that they coudn't get it out quicker than 7 months. Oh well.

Meanwhile, my carrier released the Touch Pro and I took it up on the offer.

So, regarding the third party UIs... I continue to use PhoneAlarm and SPB PocketPlus rather than TF3D on the Touch Pro. I think TF3D is cool, but just isn't needed for me (but I keep it around and ready to use just in case).

m.

Last edited by mmidgley; 12-13-2008 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
I'm a little surprised you posted about the "i-mate Go" interface on the main page and nothing about i-mate releasing WM 6.1 updates for all 4 devices in their Ultimate line over the last few weeks. Many people were waiting a long time for the WM 6.1 update and some may still not know it's out there, ready for download, on imate.com
It was actually in our post queue to appear later today. That, and links to many other Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrades.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/news...de-thread.html

Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey View Post
It was actually in our post queue to appear later today. That, and links to many other Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrades.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/news...de-thread.html
Great idea! I see the new post with links so 6.1 updates from many vendors!!! That is truly a service to your readers!