Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Zune Phone - "Pink" - Not Being Unveiled at CES?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10120474-75.html

"Microsoft will have a bunch of stuff to show at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, but a rumored ZunePhone won't be one of them, according to sources familiar with the company's plans. Instead, much of CEO Steve Ballmer's focus will be on talking about Windows 7 from a consumer perspective. Microsoft is pushing to have Windows 7 done in time for the holiday 2009 shopping season, so that means this CES is Ballmer's best stage to tout its benefits."

Ina Fried claims to have the skinny on the latest Zune Phone/Codename Pink rumors. According to Ina's recent CNET News article, Steve Ballmer won’t be unveiling this exciting new device at the biggest consumer electronics show of the year. This is one of the times where I hope Ina's sources are wrong as this mythical Zune Phone that somehow managed to make the blog rounds again has finally breathed some excitement into the world of Windows Mobile. I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed and hope something new and exciting gets unveiled at CES.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
efjay
Theorist

Dont know about you, but I've given up on WM or expecting MS to actually act like they care about it. Looking to Microsoft to do anything worthwhile with WM is a pointless and ultimately frustrating exercise, proven time and time again to be so. While other's forge ahead MS always seems focused on other parts of their business, which is ok but leads to WM not being exploited to its full potential and feeling like its just there to support other parts of MS's business rather than being an important part of a unified stratagy which ultimately will lead to its (hopefully) demise.

I think its time to put this old dog out of its misery and relegate Windows CE to embedded devices or other such items. MS has no interest in the mobile phone area.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
I think its time to put this old dog out of its misery and relegate Windows CE to embedded devices or other such items. MS has no interest in the mobile phone area.
I am afraid you are right and this attitude, MS has toward smartphones, is a big mistake that will hunt them for a long time.
Smartphones or whatever these devices will evolve into are the future of computing.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Zune Phone

I'm hoping there is no Zune Phone on the way. It seems to me that Microsoft needs to cut their losses and concentrate on fixing Windows Mobile in general and Windows 7.

The Zune was a complete flop in the eyes of most people. I'm not sure why they would want to try and turn that into a device in an arena where they again have no hardware experience. I think they should just try to make their software better before Android works on all the devices Windows Mobile works on and software venders start porting all their WM software to Android.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
I'm hoping there is no Zune Phone on the way. It seems to me that Microsoft needs to cut their losses and concentrate on fixing Windows Mobile in general and Windows 7.

The Zune was a complete flop in the eyes of most people. I'm not sure why they would want to try and turn that into a device in an arena where they again have no hardware experience. I think they should just try to make their software better before Android works on all the devices Windows Mobile works on and software venders start porting all their WM software to Android.
I am going to have to disagree on the Zune point. Once I tried out the Zune I put my iPod to rest. The Zune, in my humble opinion, simply blows the others out of the water and it's popularity is growing, although slowly, every day.

As for the WM point, whole-heartedly agree there.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntractv View Post
I am going to have to disagree on the Zune point. Once I tried out the Zune I put my iPod to rest. The Zune, in my humble opinion, simply blows the others out of the water and it's popularity is growing, although slowly, every day.

As for the WM point, whole-heartedly agree there.
I never used an iPod so I would not comment about the device itself but I bought a Zune several months ago and I could not use it on my car; there were issues about Zune not seen as a HD, something like that.
In the meantime I finally gave up with WM and switched to an iPhone. Now I can connect it to the sound system in my BMW and play music and make phone calls; everything with a single device is a great plus.

Also I just bought an iPod Touch or whatever it is called for my daughter and I have to admit that the UI seems way better than the one of the old iPod and the Zune too.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Ricardo Dawkins
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I never used an iPod so I would not comment about the device itself but I bought a Zune several months ago and I could not use it on my car; there were issues about Zune not seen as a HD, something like that.
In the meantime I finally gave up with WM and switched to an iPhone. Now I can connect it to the sound system in my BMW and play music and make phone calls; everything with a single device is a great plus.

Also I just bought an iPod Touch or whatever it is called for my daughter and I have to admit that the UI seems way better than the one of the old iPod and the Zune too.
Are you iPhone and iPoid Touch seen as a HD ?
No ?
Touch�.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
Are you iPhone and iPoid Touch seen as a HD ?
No ?
Touch�.
I do not know about the iPod because my daughter uses it; the iPhone works very well in my car so I guess it is, either way it plays my music so I am happy.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I agree that MS working on a Zune phone is a complete waste of time and resources. MS already has a great line of phones: Windows Mobile. If they're feeling the bite because the iPhone is so much better than WM, that's cool, just update WM already. If they think the Zune interface would get them gains in the mobile phone arena, just port the danged thing to WM already.

A phone that only does what a 'dumb' phone does plus what the Zune does would be stupid and frankly wouldn't compete with the iPhone. If they want a phone that does everything the iPhone does plus more with a killer interface, well, that's Windows Mobile with the Zune interface (or the MCE interface or the XBOX interface).

In fact, since you've got me started, Microsoft should really be putting energy towards making their interface universal across all platforms. The Zune, MCE and XBOX interfaces are all so similar they're really shooting themselves in the foot by not taking it the next step. If they just make sure Windows 7 and WM7 share that interface, they could really have something unique and revolutionary.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
reed_r
Neophyte
Default It's not over...

It�s not over until it�s�well, it will never be over. This is just getting good folks and the mobile device market is opportunity at its finest. Apple did what they do best�going straight for the consumer space and controlling the experience from top to bottom with hardware and software and laser tight focus. Microsoft �partnered� with everyone which carries all kinds of pros and cons with it. It means more options all around�good and bad.

If you are an enterprise who needs management of devices that integrate nicely with other business products, WM made some great moves. If you need rugged devices or the ability to pick a device that meets your hardware profile, again�WM is a no-brainer. You have to give Apple credit for raising the bar for consumer smart phones, but at some point you are going to want to have a choice in the matter. Apple has a long way to go in the enterprise/business space. WM has a lot of work to do to win consumers. These are two very different angles on the market.

Any way you look at it, competition is a very good thing and mobile platforms (and phones) are finally getting the attention they deserve. These little guys are going to change our world in ways we have only begin to imagine.

-Reed