Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Broadcom's Chip Packs 11n, Bluetooth, and FM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...cheap-chip.html

"Broadcom has released the latest of its so-called combo wireless chips, this time putting single-stream 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, and FM radio reception and short-range transmission into its BCM4329. These combo chips are designed to bring high-end wireless features to handsets and portable media devices by reducing chip count and overall integration costs. Chris Bergey, Broadcom's director for embedded wireless LAN, said that WiFi has moved from a smartphone requirement "into the high-end feature phone market," which led to the necessity for combination chips like the BCM4329. Feature phone is the euphemistic industry term for cellular handsets that have basic functions, but lack the computation power and flexibility of smartphones."

There was a time when it was a struggle finding a Windows Mobile device with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. These days, said devices are ubiquitous, yet almost all of them - including HTC's newest beasts, the Touch HD and MAX 4G - only go as far as 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 2.0. Enter Broadcom's newest wireless chip: it packs 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, and an FM radio receiver/transmitter. Let's hope a Windows Mobile OEM takes note.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Exclamation bt & wifi

There was a time when it was a struggle finding a Windows Mobile device with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth my first ppc (ipaq 3650) in 2000 had no radios. my second ppc (ipaq 5555) in 2003 had both bt and wifi. every device i've had since then has had both. i guess i've just been avoiding the evil ones like palm that kept leaving out wifi. what is new in bt 2.1? m.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgley View Post
i guess i've just been avoiding the evil ones like palm that kept leaving out wifi.
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgley View Post
what is new in bt 2.1?
Wikipedia has a good summary. You may also be interested in the v3.0 specification. Paul posted on it just a few hours ago.