Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HTC’s Profits at $528 Million in Q3

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/h...million_in.html

"Some good news out of HTC. The Taiwan-based smartphone manufacturer reported that its monthly profits for November were a record $528.57 million. That's a 10.8 percent increase on the month, and a 22.1 percent increase on the year, reports UK-based The Telecom. Two phones are cited for the strong showing: TheWindows Mobile-powered Touch Diamond, and the T-Mobile G1, running Android. By comparison, The Telecom notes that sales in the smartphone market were up 11.5 percent for Q3, and that Nokia - still the world leader - saw negative growth for the quarter."

It's nice to see that not every company is hurting during this financial crunch. I think HTC has been doing well for a while now so the G1 and the Touch Diamond are just adding to an already good year. How many of you own an HTC device and if you do, which one? I personally have one of their older models - the Dash. Are you happy with your HTC device? What else would you like to see from them? Personally, I'd like to see more of their devices come to the states. I get tired of seeing what looks to be a beautiful device only to find out the USA won't be getting it.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 PM
omikr0n
Neophyte

I currently own and use HTC S740. It's good to live in Europe, when it comes to smartphones.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Bob Anderson
Thinker

I'm glad to see HTC doing so well, however, as a XV6800 (HTC Titan) user, I can say that they need to work on better quality. So some of those profits can be redeployed to better R&D and driver support. The bluetooth module on this phone is subpar, and on many forums there are numerous comments about the fact that HTC should release better drivers. My keyboard is starting to act flakey (after a year of generally light usage I should mention.)

A friend has the T-Mobile Dash, and, it too has developed strange problems with the audio out via headphones. The output volume is extremely low while using headphones, but then, once a call comes in, you are nearly rendered deaf by the loudness. T-Mobile seems unable to explain the problem and everyone is just scratching their heads.

I think HTC puts so much wizardry into devices, that they sometimes forget to just make the basic stuff reliable, which is a trend many technology companies follow. After all, they'll just fix it in the "next release."

Oh, and a final thought, maybe HTC can invest some of that profit in creating a consortium that makes standard interfaces for power, headsets, and other "basic" attachments to cell phones. Sure would be nice to have accessories that would outlive my devices!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Stinger
Thinker

I don't have one now (my last was a TyTn) but they're the only brand that I'd look at if I was to buy another Windows Mobile device. HTC know how to build Windows Mobile phones better than anyone else by some distance. I'm glad to see them doing well.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 PM
alese
Philosopher

I got my first HTC device in June 2004 - Qtek 2020 (HTC Himalaya) pocket PC phone and I stayed with HTC ever since.
After Himalaya I used Qtek 9100 (HTC Wizard), Qtek 9000 (HTC Universal), HTC P3600 (Trinity) and now I have HTC Advantage and the HTC Diamond.
I loved all of them and I have to say they all worked very well, my Himalaya for instance is still running without a problem, I only had to replace the battery in 4+ years...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default HTC Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Paxton View Post
How many of you own an HTC device and if you do, which one?
I own an HTC device -- an iPAQ h3650. (The early iPAQs were made by HTC.) I have other iPAQs, too, but I'm not sure when or if HP switched.

Steve

P.S. Contrary to the story's title saying HTC made $528 million in Q3, the quoted story says that was for the month, citing month over month growth as confirmation.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 PM
spiderwebwom
Neophyte

I have an HTC Mogul and I am very happy with it except for one issue. I upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 and now I can't sync to two PCs. A lot of other people are having the same problem. We've been told that Microsoft has delivered a fix (AKU 1.2) for this to the OEMs. It's now up to the OEMs to deliver the fix to us.

I wrote to HTC and they said: "Currently, our developers have to work with Sprint and Microsoft to determine when and if a ROM upgrade will be available. Unfortunately, there is no estimated time for availability of any ROM update."

I'd like to know if the fix is coming from HTC and if so, when?

See:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spiderwebwom...2/1648573.aspx

and

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spiderwebwom...8/1651249.aspx

and

http://www.windowsmobiletraining.com...ms/t/1708.aspx

and

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedba...634&SiteID=502

Thank you,

Kathleen Anderson

Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Kirkaiya
Theorist
Send a message via Skype™ to Kirkaiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by omikr0n View Post
I currently own and use HTC S740. It's good to live in Europe, when it comes to smartphones.
I live in Asia, which might sometimes be even better ;-)

Anyway - I got my Touch Diamond back in June, not long after they came out. I would have waited, but I went swimming in Phuket with my old phone - the HTC "Star Trek" (aka Dopod S300/QTek/iMate) flip-phone, which I had upgraded to WM6.

Both of my HTC phones put up with a lot of abuse - being dropped, rained on, sat on (in my back pocket), etc., and both always survived, until the swimming pool. Even then - after more than a minute underwater - the S300 flip-phone's external display still works, and it can receive calls. Just the main screen and keyboard died. Amazing.

The Touch Diamond took a little bit of getting used to, but since upgrading the ROM to 1.93, it's been very stable, the screen is excellent, and the 3G is fast (used it in Korea, and now tested out the limited 3G in Bangkok at the mall this past weekend).

Given the limitations of WM 6.1, HTC did an admirable job on the Diamond. I still think that, in another two years, high-end smartphones will be running on x86 processors, maybe the sucessor to "Moorestown" or something. I'm going to restrain myself from whining about WM7's ever-receding launch date now

So hey - Jason (?) - is there going to be "Android Thoughts" if Google's OS takes off? Just askin'

edit: I also had an original iPaq 3650, which I didn't know was actually HTC until I read Pony's post! (also had an iPaq 1910 later, no idea if that was HTC or not)

blog.HackingBangkok.com

Last edited by Kirkaiya; 12-11-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 05:19 PM
hubermsdj
Pupil
Default HTC Touch Diamond

I bought an HTC Touch Diamond for myself and my wife two months ago. I like the interface. have had issues with the battery but it turns out it is a roaming issue at my house. the phone is constantly looking for a sprint signal while roaming and quickly drains the battery. Unfortunately there is no feature to tell the phone to stay in roaming mode and stop looking for the sprint network. It would be a nice feature especially if it was tied to the GPS so you could indicate that while at certain locations don't look for the sprint network.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Kirkaiya
Theorist
Send a message via Skype™ to Kirkaiya

In October, I bought the extended battery (it's 1340 mAh, instead of 950 mAh of the standard one).

It's a little bit thicker, but the back cover for it is matte finish instead of glossy (which I like), and if I go somewhere for an overnight trip, the original battery (which I keep fully charged) is in my laptop as a backup.

blog.HackingBangkok.com