Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default MobileTechReview Reviews Sony Ericsson's Xperia X1a

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/pho...sson-Xperia.htm

"Well folks, it's finally here: the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a. That's the US version with 3G HSDPA on the US AT&T bands. The Xperia is sold in the US at SonyStyle stores in silver and at Best Buy stores in black (Fry's, J&R and other retailers also offer the silver version). Don't confuse the Xperia X1a with the overseas version Xperia X1i (no "a" for America) that lacks all of AT&T's 3G bands."

Read on, US and Canada readers, if you're trying to decide whether to pick one up from a Sony store. I'll leave the details of the conclusion to the article, but in short, the author really likes this device. If anyone has picked up the Americas version and wants to comment on how well it works here, chime in the thread!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

Not gonna happen. I really love the Xperia, I do. Great looks, features...but at $800??? Not gonna happen.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Besides the fact that, if I rmemebered correctly, the US version has a less powerful Qualcom chip, the screen is very small. Granted while waiting for one of these "mythical", "revolutionary" WM7 devices I am using an iPhone and its screen is huge but the X1 screen is really small.
It is expensive too; I bought my Apple original SIMFREE , iPhone G3 in Europe for $750, more or less $100 cheaper that the X1.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:13 AM
bigneeker
Pupil

somebody needs to explain to the reviewer that the x1i (european version) does have some of the 3g bands like 1900mhz which i am using right now in NYC and i am getting 3g everywhere.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

Agreed that at $800 USD and the slumping economy that I'll pass on this. Actually, I was also hoping that they would have the PSP's XMB interface on there. Having used it on my PSP, I can fly through the menus and can attest to it's simple yet highly effective functionality.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 AM
Snowmation
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
Not gonna happen. I really love the Xperia, I do. Great looks, features...but at $800??? Not gonna happen.
The price is in the same ball part as the HTC Touch Pro, Touch HD and the Nokia N95 when it first came out how many years ago.....this is just the cost of high end non-subsidized phones. Sony isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here as far as cost go.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:11 AM
Snowmation
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMania View Post
I was also hoping that they would have the PSP's XMB interface on there. Having used it on my PSP, I can fly through the menus and can attest to it's simple yet highly effective functionality.
Same here, but it is there on the media player Panel....but it would have been nice for all the phone's functions to be accessed from an XMB interface.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Daring
Neophyte

Just a side note. Stopped by the SonyStyle store today and the rep said that they had them in stock but Sony had recalled them all and the store was forced to ship them back. Said earliest availability was Q1 2009. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about but I can't imagine lying about something that would put Sony in a bad light.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Farmer Ted
Pupil

I went to look at an Xperia at a sony store on black friday, and I was told they were recalled, too.