Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Blockbuster to Build Streaming Video Service on Live Mesh Platform

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...n1.4a219e8.html

"Blockbuster Inc. caught up to the competition last week by introducing a set-top box that brings rentals from the Internet to the television. Now, the Dallas-based company hopes to pass the pack by teaming with Microsoft Corp. on new mobile services that will let customers watch even more movies on more devices. 'Eventually, we'll give customers instant access to any movie on any device with an Internet connection and a screen,' said Keith Morrow, Blockbuster's chief information officer."

I really love Netflix and their Watch Now service but the truth is their selection is pretty slim pickings. Out of the 400 DVD's in my Netflix queue, only 9 of them are available as Watch Now titles. Out of all of those 9 movies, I cannot play any of them on my Windows Mobile devices or any other mobile device I own. It will be very interesting to see how Blockbuster is able to pull this off, especially since they mention the ability to stream any movie on any device. Now the real question is does any movie count as any movie they carry in their stores and online service or will this be like Netflix where it is any movie they will have in their handful of movies that are able to stream. Only time will tell. It is nice however to see big name companies already utilizing the new Live Mesh platform.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

"Blockbuster Inc. caught up to the competition last week by introducing a set-top box that brings rentals from the Internet to the television.

Would be somewhat exciting news - if it weren't for the Download Caps that all the major ISPs seem bent on imposing.

Have mixed feelings about the caps - Comcast's cap (of all companies!) actually seem relatively lenient - but AT&Ts start low & TWC's seem downright draconian (5 to 40GB / month? Seems that would put a quick halt to much Movie Downloading!)

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

True but once companies like AT&T start losing customers due to this cap that might change in the future. I'm not sure if people realize this, but as a citizen you can petition your city/county to ditch a cable provider for another.

If enough people complain to the city about the unfair prices and data cap the city has every right to ask the company to change its policy or risk being booted out the next time the they take bids on cable and Internet service providers.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Constant Caffeine
Intellectual

I would think only 30 to 60 minute television shows would work for me. I do not think my TyTN II would last a full length movie using Wi-Fi the entire time.

It is a nice idea, but I will stick to using CloneDVD mobile.