Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default FTC Allow Telemarketers Access To Mobile Phone Numbers

http://mobilitysite.com/2008/12/mob...o-public-today/

"In its profound wisdom, the FTC is allowing cell phone numbers to be released to telemarketers today. Now you can have the pleasure of being annoyed by a pesky telemarketing when you are just sitting down to dinner and have the pleasure of paying for it as well. Whatever possessed a government agency that is supposed to safeguard citizens’ rights to release private information to these vultures? In my opinion, telemarketers are the lowest life forms in the food chain and should be hunted down and exterminated. There should be a bounty on them."

I rarely receive telemarking calls on my mobile phone but I also have a habit of not answering the phone when someone who is not in my address book calls me. I figure if it is important they will leave me a voicemail and if they know me they will know to shoot me an email or SMS message instead of calling in the first place. However this decision still annoys me. It was one thing when telemarkers called you on your landline and you didn't have to pay for the call, but now that any of these answered calls are going come out of your minute package I feel this is highly inappropriate. I mean really, who still uses telemarketing nowadays? We live in the future. You would think these people never heard of SPAM before. Come on people, get on the ball!

The good news is you can add your mobile number to the national Do Not Call list. To do so please point your browser to http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall.

EDIT: Story turned out to be false, but its still a good idea to add your number to the list or even to make sure your landline is added to the list as well.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

I'm always amazed that you have to pay for incoming calls. We don't in the UK, and frankly it seems absurdly unfair. You can control who you phone, but you can't control who phones you, as this story makes clear.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
JamesM
Ponderer

According to Snopes.com, this is false:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

Thanks, James. This one pops up every now and again, but seeing it here somehow gave it some credibility.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Yep, this is false. There are only two news releases from the FTC today:
FTC Office of Public Affairs - News Room

The originating site should be embarrassed - there isn't a single source cited in the "article".

Last edited by onlydarksets; 12-01-2008 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
ignar
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I'm always amazed that you have to pay for incoming calls. We don't in the UK, and frankly it seems absurdly unfair. You can control who you phone, but you can't control who phones you, as this story makes clear.
I'm totally with you, Duncan. I don't mind telco doubling the cost of calling (and sending SMS) if they drop charge for incoming ones.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

On the other hand, I don't suppose it hurts to register your number with the National DNCL. I do occasionally get a telemarketing call on my cell, even on the Pay as you go T-Mobile SIM I only use to throw in a handset to play with it. Never used that number for anything, and still have gotten calls on it.

Then you can inform the transgressor that you are on the DNCL and you would like their information so you can provide it to the authorities, so they can collect the fine. Wish there was a bounty

Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
... there isn't a single source cited in the "article".
This is true, I was originally unsure whether or not to post about this but since the phone number and web site for the DNCL both went down today due to heavy use, I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

As someone said above, it doesn't hurt to have your number on the DNCL but yes, it is ridiculous that we have to pay for incoming calls here in the US. I remember back in the day we could get the first minute for free but then the carriers caught on that no one spoke longer than a minute

Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 PM
yvilla
Theorist

Well, this particular story may have been false, but for the past few months I have been getting a great number of spam calls on my mobile, to my utter dismay and outrage. Hmmm, I wonder if T-Mobile is the bad guy here.

Anyway, it got so bad I added my mobile number to the do not call registry about two weeks ago!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvilla View Post
Anyway, it got so bad I added my mobile number to the do not call registry about two weeks ago!
Have you noticed a decrease? I would suspect it would take longer, but you would think since this is just a database that the telemarketers would be required to match their call lists up against this do not call list often.