Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default QiGi i6 Does Android and Windows Mobile

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/28/...st-in-one-pack/

Chinese company, QiGi, is offering consumers one thing so many of its competitors don't: choice. The i6 officially supports Android and Windows Mobile. Unfortunately, dual-boot isn't an option - you have to pick one OS and stick with it until you choose to install the other. OSes aside, it packs a Marvell 624MHz processor, 128MB RAM, 256MB ROM, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) touch screen, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, and a 2.0-megapixel camera. Of course, you're probably never going to see this one outside of China. Still, if you had such a device, which OS would you choose and why?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Tough Choice...

If it were not for the Windows Mobile applications I know and love I'd pick Android. It won't be such a tough choice for me if companies like WebIS, Developer One, Laridian, Resco, and Softmaker start developing for Android. They are the reason I'm staying with Windows Mobile.

Especially if I can run Android on my current Windows Mobile hardware...which I'm sure I could - uhhhh, with a software keyboard

Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 AM
bikerrich1
Neophyte
Default chinese cellphones

it's pretty amzing that you had something nice to say about an "unbranded" chinese cellphone. the general consensus seems to be that they're all fraudulent, inferior rip-offs. what's the real deal with chinese knockoffs??

Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerrich1 View Post
it's pretty amzing that you had something nice to say about an "unbranded" chinese cellphone. the general consensus seems to be that they're all fraudulent, inferior rip-offs. what's the real deal with chinese knockoffs??
I'm curious to know what "unbranded" is to you. If it's anything but the big-name companies, then sure, you could call this unbranded. But QiGi, the company behind the i6, and the i6 itself, are legit.

Yes, there are inferior rip-offs out there. They may look like an iPAQ or Treo, but aren't. They may run an unlicensed version of Windows Mobile. In fact, they may not even be running Windows Mobile, rather a completely different operating system dressed to look like Windows Mobile. But I certainly wouldn't use any of this to sum up the i6 nor China's cellphone industry in general.