Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP iPAQ 910 Business Messenger Unboxing and First Impressions

This is an unboxing and first impressions video of the HP iPAQ 910 Business Messenger, a Windows Mobile Professional smartphone running Windows Mobile 6.1. This is a 2.46 inch touch-screen phone (320 x 240 resolution) that also features a front-facing QWERTY keyboard, so it's a bit different than some of the phones I'm used to looking at.

The iPAQ 910 uses a Marvell PXA270 Processor at 416 Mhz, has quad-band GSM/GPRS and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA, meaning it's a true world-phone that can get 3G anywhere it's available. It also has a 3 megapixel camera, USB 2.0, 128 MB of RAM and 256 MB of ROM. Impressively, it boasts a 1940 mAh battery, so it should have solid battery life. Bluetooth 2.0 and 802.11b/g round out the offering.

Our star reviewer, Don Tolson, will be taking a look at this device and giving it a full review in the coming weeks.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
RayanMX
Pupil

It's been more than 5 months since the first iPaq 910 Business Messenger video reviews started to pop up all over the net, but it's always nice to see Jason's POV

"Impressively, it boasts a 1940 mAh battery, so it should have solid battery life"

Not really Jason!In fact it has horrible battery life and some even reported a problem with the batttery overheatting to the point of having the OS alerting with an on-screen warning! amongst some other issues (flaky scroll wheel, constant lock-ups, etc).

However, I'm here hoping to see a review where results could be different from the rest.... Maybe HP fixed the annoying problems?

Awesome video quality by the way!!!

Cheers!
RayanMX

Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Remedy
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to Remedy Send a message via AIM to Remedy Send a message via Yahoo to Remedy

Mr. Dunn, do you know what the firmware version of your device was? The one from 7/30/08 is 1.00.03.

Quote:
Subscribe to driver and support alerts

� Sign up now for customized driver, security, patch, and support email alerts.
Only receive updates on products you specify or own when you want them.

Useful links
� View downloads from Microsoft� (ActiveSync�, patches, etc)
Type: BIOS
Version: 1.00.03 (30 Jul 2008)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1
File name: sp40181.exe (58 MB)

� Description
Description
Release Notes
Release Notes

TITLE: HP iPAQ 910c, 912c, and 914c Business Messengers - Worldwide English ROM Update

VERSION: 1.00.03

DESCRIPTION:
This package contains the ROM Update Utility (RUU) and ROM image for the listed iPAQ 900 Business Messenger Series devices and operating systems. This package updates only the products supporting the following SKU IDs: FB052AA#ABB, FB068AA#ABA, FB050AA#ABA, and FB153AA#ABB.

IMPORTANT:
This ROM update will clean reset the HP iPAQ Handheld device to factory settings. Therefore, back up all your data before performing this update.

PURPOSE: Recommended
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: sp40181
SUPERSEDES: None
EFFECTIVE DATE: 30 July, 2008
CATEGORY: BIOS
SSM SUPPORTED: No

PRODUCT TYPE(S):Handhelds

SUPPORTING HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP iPAQ 910c Business Messenger
HP iPAQ 912c Business Messenger
HP iPAQ 914c Business Messenger

OPERATING SYSTEM(S): Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1

LANGUAGE(S): English (Global)

FIXES:

1. Improves Network Identity and Time Zone (NITZ) reliability.
2. The HP iPAQ GPS QK Position application no longer erroneously reports "The Ephemeris file has expired" for the current files.
3. Improves LED indicator reliability when receiving push mail.
4. Delivers SMS messages that are over 160 characters as expected.
5. When receiving a second incoming call:

a. Improves the quality of the notification tone.
b. Eliminates unexpected continuous ring tone.
c. No longer suspends audio temporarily for the first line, causing the first caller to think the call is disconnected.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 AM
fredtskunke
Neophyte
Default I like it

I bought the 910c back in August, so I have some good road time with it. I have been very impressed. The screen resolution is great. I consider a QWERTY keyboard a must on my devices, and this one works very well.

I leave my WiFi on nearly all of the time. I have no issues with battery life. I plug the device into power when I go to bed around 11:30pm - 12:00am, and take it off power when I wake up at 7:00am. The battery is ready to be charged at the end of the day, but it lasts very well. No problems with the battery heating up, as was reported earlier.

I have had an iPaq 3950, both versions of Jornada, an Axim, the 4355, 4700, 5445, and now the 910c. I have enjoyed the 910c very much. I use it for business connectivity, and it fits my needs very well.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 AM
rx8volution
Neophyte

@fredtskunke:
I'm about to get one of these, and my only concern is that I have an HTC Tilt right now and leaving ActiveSync on all day long (as-they-arrive emails) and talking reasonably it lasts all of 4hrs TOPS... rediculous.

My concern is for battery life... anyone have any thoughts that actually uses ActiveSync?