Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC Touch Pro Unboxing and First Impressions

This is an unboxing and first impressions video of the HTC Touch Pro. This devices was given to me on loan by Expansys, and it currently (Nov 2008) retails for $799 USD. The HTC Touch pro is an evolution from the HTC TyTn, AT&T Tilt, etc. It packs a lot of functionality into a package that feels surprisingly good in your hand.

The HTC Touch Pro uses a Qualcomm MSM7201A CPU at 528 MHz, runs Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, and has 512 MB of storage ROM and 288 MB of system RAM. It is 102mm tall, 51mm wide, and 18.05mm thick. It weighs 165 grams with its 1340 mAh battery. It has a 2.8 inch VGA screen, GPS, Bluetooth 2.0, 802.11 b/g, and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. It's a quad-band GSM phone (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), and this model is set up for Europe/Asia 3G with 900/2100 MHz band coverage for HSPD/WCDMA for up to 2 mbps upstream and 7.2 mbps downstream. The main camera is a 3.2 megapixel camera with auto-focus and flash, and there's a front-facing VGA camera for video calling. It also has a microSDHC card slot and supports high-capacity cards, which are currently up to 16 GB in size.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

Stereo Headphones?!? COOL looking box! And a Rubberized Back!

Am jealous as all get-out now!

And the AT&T Fuze did not come with even a Cheap carry case!

Now, did get a carrier-subsidized price, so imagine HTC may need to include a few extra goodies in their box; but - Cool Looking Box aside - do like the "includes" (and put that nice looking rubber back here as well) for the HTC version, & wish AT&T had bundled some of them (although still think the AT&T handling of numerals on hardware keyboard is better.... ).

Although it was hard to make out precise figures in the video, it also looks like the Touch Pro carries quite a bit less BUILT-IN Software than the Fuze does - both your Program and Storage space figures looked higher than my Fuze (although a soft-reset would be expected to raise them slightly).

Also note that BOTH the Touch Pro & the Fuze report considerably LESS than the advertised memory amounts: presumably the unseen balance is locked up tight in operating system files....

BTW: The video looked Very Good!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

is the video accel released for this one?
unfortunately must be asked of every Qualcomm device.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
wocket
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-iPAQ View Post
is the video accel released for this one?
unfortunately must be asked of every Qualcomm device.

If it's playing back of video you are talking about then apparently Coreplayer is due to get an update specifically for newer Qualcomm devices.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Kursplat
Intellectual

Many WM phones may not have supported it (I don't know), but for the last (3?) years my Verizon VX6700 (aka HTC Apache) running Windows Mobile 5 would go to vibrate and "off" when adjusting the volume via the side buttons.

However, I am jealous of the VGA screen, GPS, and gobs of memory.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
hotdram
Theorist

Video looks great Jason. I am using Firefox 3.0.4 and installed the latest version of Flash. When I click on the play button in the center of the video embedded in your post, the video starts playing.

Random Thoughts:
I wish my Fuze had that rubberized back. Guess I will have to do a search to see if I can just order that back. The HTC website is not the greatest when it comes to listing accessories (I couldn't find any, just the phone models). I was looking for a cradle and found that Expansys has HTC branded ones but I could not find them on the HTC site itself.
I like the fact that Sprite backup is included. On the ATT Fuze, it was already installed as an app, no CD came in the box.
The Touch Flo 3D takes a bit of getting used to. I find myself launching apps accidently, when I just mean to glide over them. I have not searched much yet, but I don't see many ways to customize the "Today" screen when "Touch Flo 3D" is selected as an item to appear on the Today screen. I also thought there would be a capability to "tweak" the TF3D settings for sensitivity. If they are there, I haven't found them.
The GPS seems to take longer to acquire a fix than my BJII. I use it with 3 programs: Google Maps, MS Live Search and DeLorme's Streets Atlas USA 2009 for handheld use. (Not a huge fan of SA2009, going to try OnCourseNavigation 8 soon I think).
I also need to see if the YouTube client is available. EDIT: It IS there, under /Windows You just have to move it to your start menu (or create a short cut there)
Everyday I am finding out new features of this device, for instance: When the stylus is pulled out after a call is connected, Notes automatically opens up (if you have selected that option under "Phone Settings".
Don't really see a way to customize/create your own profiles (I used to have one for home, office, car, nighttime etc).
The weather feature (on the Fuze at least) is nice, but I wish it had the ability for the user to enter zip codes.
HATE the PTT button on the side of the Fuze. I hit it at least 5 times a day. Thankfully you get a message asking if you really want to continue, as charges will incur. I know it can be remapped, but this is not easily done and requires a good bit of reg editing. I don't want to do that just yet to a brand new phone.
When the device is placed on a flat surface, when you hit the screen or try to press one of the buttons on the bottom (place/end call etc), the device rocks due to the funky angular patterns on the back (reminds me of a stealth fighter)
I hate the bloatware the is included from AT&T. Wish there was an easy way to remove it. (Again, reg edits should do this, and I will probably go down that path, just not yet).
Still getting used to the version of Opera that comes with the device. There is a forum that I regularly visit that I can't get to using PIE or Opera. I get told "You must have Javascript enabled to view this forum". On my BJII, I couldn't view the forum with PIE either, but the version of Opera I downloaded let me access the site.
Sure there is more to come as I get a chance to play with it during my Thanksgiving week off

~Rob

I don't use my devices for business, and I wouldn't call myself a power user. I'm just a techie who likes toys.
My history with WM devices:
iPaq 4155
Audiovox SMT5600
Samsung Blackjack
Samsung Blackjack II
HTC Fuze (ATT branded Touch Pro)

Last edited by hotdram; 11-26-2008 at 05:27 PM..