Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Engadget Mobile Reviews the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/...eria-x1-review/

"Sony Ericsson has produced some exceptional handsets over the years, with certain gems like the W950, W300i and W580i (just to name a few) catching the eyes and hearts of casual and hardcore mobile fanatics alike. Even so, it's hard to argue that any single phone in the outfit's history has caused more of a stir than the XPERIA X1."

Darren Murph and the team at Engadget Mobile tear into the new Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 version slated for North America, the X1A, which is different than the X1i which is already available in some areas.  You'll find a great look at the hardware and software the X1 offers, as well as a gallery of shots and even video of a web surfing race between the X1 and the iPhone 3G.  Who do you think won?  Check it out at Engadget Mobile and see if it's worth parting with $799.99 to take it home.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Engadget review of WM device! LOL!!!! Why even bother to read. Anything from MS is P.O.S., anything from $teve Job's kitchen, worth to worship. That's pretty much summary of all Engadget "reviews".

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
starstreak
Ponderer

While I can't say if they are lying, but theirs is the first review of a X1a I seen. I hope the reception is better than they make it sound.
I hope its's not as sluggish as they make it sound. Every other review I saw for the X1i said it was pretty responsive.
And people just need to get off the whole resistive vs. capacitive screen. If you buy a WinMo, chances are it'll resistive. The one on the Fuze I use, works fine for swiping. I would say 90% as good as that as my friends G1. BUT unlike his, I can use a stylus and draw or write. So you gain precision, but loose sensitivit. I've been using winMo for over 6+ years so resistive is fine for me. I know what I'm getting into.

Last edited by starstreak; 11-23-2008 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Engadget or Gizmodo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
Engadget review of WM device! LOL!!!! Why even bother to read. Anything from MS is P.O.S., anything from $teve Job's kitchen, worth to worship. That's pretty much summary of all Engadget "reviews".
Are you sure you're not confusing Engadget with Gizmodo?

Steve

Old 11-23-2008, 10:20 PM
starstreak
Ponderer

Well whoever wrote this article, did make a few errors like saying this is a VGA display. But he did say it was 800x480. He should write what resolution the iphone is that he keeps compairing it to.
iphone is not the same animal as this X1/touch pro/etc. Its closer to that Touch 3D that's not out in the USA. Large screen, higher resolution/no keypad.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
ianl
Pupil
Default X1 a ??

Is anyone able to tell me exactly what the difference in specs (if any) between the X1 and the X1A, please ?

According to pdadb.net, there seems to be no difference in spec

With nearly $1000 riding on an accurate, reliable answer, this is a pretty pointed question.

The SonyEriccson website is useless here

Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianl View Post
Is anyone able to tell me exactly what the difference in specs (if any) between the X1 and the X1A, please ?

According to pdadb.net, there seems to be no difference in spec

With nearly $1000 riding on an accurate, reliable answer, this is a pretty pointed question.

The SonyEriccson website is useless here
The X1a will work with the US 850 3g band. The X1i substitutes 900 for 850. Also, due to the patent issue with qualcomm and broadcomm, the x1a can only record video at qvga at a lower framerate and different codec. the X1i can record VGA at 30fps in h.264 I believe.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 PM
ianl
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim View Post
The X1a will work with the US 850 3g band. The X1i substitutes 900 for 850. Also, due to the patent issue with qualcomm and broadcomm, the x1a can only record video at qvga at a lower framerate and different codec. the X1i can record VGA at 30fps in h.264 I believe.
Thank you. This is what I had believed also

Various UK retailers are offering an X1 (with no following letter) and lisiting the 850Mhz UMTS frequency in the specifications.

Although the US is the country most often mentioned in connection with the 850Mhz frequency, here in Aus our most dominant carrier has also opted for 850Mhz, so the question is critical.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

I like WinMo and I have wanted a Xperia since I first read even a smidgen of information about it. I don't use any Apple products and really dislike iTunes for it's unwillingness to play on other devices. Or that my wife and I can't share music.
That being said, if I can buy an iPhone for $199 and a Xperia for $799...then I'll probably buy my first Apple product.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Samsung Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
That being said, if I can buy an iPhone for $199 and a Xperia for $799...then I'll probably buy my first Apple product.
I can understand that. If you want something in the $200 price range, the new Samsung Saga on Verizon looks pretty cool (and has international GSM support).

Steve