Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Australian Carriers Embrace Samsung Omnia

Omnia fever has hit Australia. Bus stops, billboards, newspapers... pick one and there's a good chance an Omnia ad is plastered all over it. Take, for example, an ad in today's paper that caught my eye; it advertised the availability of the Omnia on Optus for a mere $0 on a $49 cap plan. Other carriers such as Vodafone, Virgin Mobile, and 3 are also selling the device on similar plans. And then there are the usual online and brick & mortar stores that sell the device standalone. One thing's for certain: with this widespread availability and constant advertising, Samsung is doing their best to give residents of the country with the highest number of authorized iPhone carriers something else to talk about.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 AM
UCCOFFEE
Ponderer

The plan is somehow more expensive than the optus IPHONE 8G plan if compare properly, and there's no 12 months contract option. It's still a relatively good deal cos usually there's very limited deal for windows mobile in Brisbane ( I do not know about the rest of australia)

Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCCOFFEE View Post
The plan is somehow more expensive than the optus IPHONE 8G plan if compare properly, and there's no 12 months contract option. It's still a relatively good deal cos usually there's very limited deal for windows mobile in Brisbane ( I do not know about the rest of australia)
Telstra offers a good range of Windows Mobile devices in Australia. It's certainly that way in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney; I can't quite see Brisbane being in a different boat.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 AM
ianl
Pupil
Default Samsung Omnia

Yes, Darius, but as usual people living in regional Australia (ie. those who have the cheek not to live in the big cities) are cruelly disregarded

NO 850Mhz UMTS frequency

So no regional Telstra 3G

Optus, Vodaphone etc have no interest in people outside the cities

Ho hum ... city-based manufacturing failures such as auto assemblies are given $6bn of tax money but the regional mining communities that actually supply this money cannot get an 850Mhz UMTS device of their choice