Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Windows Mobile Phone Looks Neat, Intimidating, and Odd at the Same Time!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/...fe-looks-scary/

"Edinburgh's own The Medical Phone is just about set to unleash the mobile for the true argonaut in the iCEphone. The Windows Mobile-powered "Swiss Army knife of mobiles" is dubbed a micro-notebook by its manufacturer, and while we're hesitant to go along with that, we can't deny the utility here. Sporting a Jacob's Ladder-style hinge and a full QWERTY keyboard, the unit features three independent panels, a 3-inch 400 x 240 resolution touchscreen, a mouse / tracker pad, dual SIM card slots, HSDPA support, quad-band GSM connectivity, GPS, a 3.1-megapixel camera, WiFi and a 532MHz Freescale iMX31 CPU. We're told that the phone is just weeks / months away from a release in Thailand, and it should be hitting the UK sometime in the March - April time frame for around $1,000."

You can't say this isn't an original form factor, I rarely see something this big and somewhat intimidating with Windows Mobile on it (Well, perhaps the Rugged devices are intimidating somewhat). Anyone think they want to sport one of these next year?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Ed@Brighthand
Intellectual
Default Wha?

This gizmo gives me the same totally confused expression I once saw on my dog when he was looking at a ceiling fan. Huh?

The third panel makes me think this thing isn't practical, or even usable. Do you hold the keyboard section with one hand and press buttons on the third panel (like SHIFT and RETURN) with the other? And not drop it? Or is it supposed to lie flat on a table?

If someone can explain how this design is usable I'd be happy to hear it. But I'm not coming up with anything.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Odd Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Brighthand View Post
The third panel makes me think this thing isn't practical, or even usable. Do you hold the keyboard section with one hand and press buttons on the third panel (like SHIFT and RETURN) with the other? And not drop it? Or is it supposed to lie flat on a table?

If someone can explain how this design is usable I'd be happy to hear it. But I'm not coming up with anything.
I'm wondering about that myself. Does the button panel slide under the keyboard when you don't need it? How does this thing close?

Maybe they could make a clamshell device like the HTC Universal and have button panels flip out from the sides of the keyboard (like wings). That would seem to be more practical.

Steve

Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

Think the "March / April" release date is the clue: Looks like a Wonderful April Fools Joke!

(So, NO, don't see wanting to carry such a beast - let alone Pay for it....)

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 AM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Hmmm. For a thousand bucks no VGA screen? What about it makes it worth 1000?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM
LordFuzzy
Pupil
Default Passsssssss!!

That device is just asking to get broke, dropped, or bent the wrong way. I'll take a pass on this one.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

Looks great to me. Can't wait to get one!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Brighthand View Post
This gizmo gives me the same totally confused expression I once saw on my dog when he was looking at a ceiling fan. Huh?
(Cackle)

I agree with the consensus of the room: this thing is absurd. I don't care if it's got 20 gigs of memory and can make waffles. (The latter actually seems likely, looking at it.)

Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Help!!!!!!!!!!

What should we do Optimus Prime?!?!?! There is a new Decepticon that is unlike anything we have ever seen!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

i like the panic button feature. it calls the doctor, ems. and since it has gps they can find you in an emergency. i think that feature would be good on all devices.

the design is a bit too much for me though. i have 2 sliders [1 of them a slide and tilt] this has too many moving parts.