Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default ASUS P565 Boasts 800MHz

http://asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=13428

"ASUS today introduced the ASUS P565, a business PDA phone that boasts an 800 MHz processor—the fastest in the world at the time of this announcement. Featuring ASUS’ latest touch-driven user interface—Glide—the stylish, leather-accented P565 delivers graphics and system performance beyond anything else on the market at present, posting Vsbenchmark scores almost two times that of competing products in its class. This enables the P565 to glide through resource-intensive tasks effortlessly and to handle heavy multitasking exceptionally well—making it ideal for businesspeople who demand uncompromising performance and maximum speed from their productivity tools. Rounding off its impressive feature set is a 2.8" touchscreen running at a high resolution of 480 x 640 pixels, delivering an unprecedented degree of clarity that does wonders for both personal photographs and spreadsheets."

Most of today's PDA phones aren't all that dissimilar: they try to nail that "touch" experience, and offer similar wireless functionality, similar cameras, similar displays, you name it. So, what does ASUS do to stand out? It goes back to basics and offers something that most of these devices lack: a fast Marvell TavorP 800MHz processor. Admittedly, the leap from the ever so common 624MHz isn't profound, but it's a welcome leap, nonetheless. This Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional device also packs 128MB RAM, 256MB ROM, 3G connectivity, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, GPS (SiRFstar III), a 2.8" VGA touchscreen, a 3.0-megapixel auto-focus camera, and a microSD slot. Not bad at all... oh, except for the rather dismal inclusion of USB 1.1.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Looks wonderful ... I was all excited until I saw the 'phone' after PDA ... otherwise I'd have bought it on the spot.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Looks wonderful ... I was all excited until I saw the 'phone' after PDA ... otherwise I'd have bought it on the spot.
For what it's worth, you can actually use PDA phones as standalone devices. The biggest downside is cost, because in essence, you're paying more for less.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 AM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey View Post
For what it's worth, you can actually use PDA phones as standalone devices. The biggest downside is cost, because in essence, you're paying more for less.
And sadly the camera means I can't bring it into work.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

there's a lotta plastic space around the screen. Very un-slick by today's standards.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
kerrins
Ponderer

going in the right direction with 800Mhz though. Wish it had a slide out keyboard and I would buy it.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

My x51v officially no longer the fastest device on the market, and how many years has it been around now?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
saru83
Thinker

i remember the days where the manufacturers raced to have the fastest & best processing power, those days were gone for a while & i'm glad they are coming back again, its always interesting..