Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Problems With ActiveSync, Windows Mobile 6.1 and Syncing with Two PCs?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spiderwebwo...22/1648573.aspx

"Since I got my HTC Mogul from Sprint last spring, I had been syncing with two PCs, one at home and one at work. Life was good - I was where I was supposed to be on time, and remembering everyone's birthday and anniversary. "

Then the problem began. She upgraded her Mogul to Windows Mobile 6.1 and was no longer able to sync with two PCs. Instead, ActiveSync throws back error 86000107. It works fine with the first PC, but not the second. Microsoft Connect has a more detailed thread about this issue. I don't use ActiveSync (I'm on Vista now with WMDC) and I don't sync with two PCs, so I've not seen this issue. In the Connect thread, the resolution is given as it being an OEM issue that needs to be fixed.

If you use ActiveSync and sync with two PCs, have you seen this issue after upgrading to WM6.1? I am wondering if this affects all 6.1 devices or just a few.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM
hotphil
Neophyte

Yep, had the same thing. Had to give up syncing to two PC's.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM
hotdram
Theorist

I use AS 4.5 and USED to sync with 2 PC's on my Blackjack II with WM 6.0
After the ROM to WM 6.1, I have the same issue as noted above. On the second PC, I get an error. Just finally gave up syncing at work (and occasionally, I STILL get the error, or one like it on the one PC that I do sync with). Way to go MS. I am due for an upgrade and am considering the Blackberry Bold as a replacement.

[RANT]To me this is just another in the long list of dings against WM that I am not sure I can overlook. Last night, I installed a "patch" that was supposed to cure the SMTP issue with email and the WM 6.1 upgrade. The "patch" blew away all my POP3 accounts. Went to add them again but was told that they already exist. Problem was, I just couldn't do anything with them. They didn't show up in the messaging list, they only showed up on the home screen, but you couldn't send/receive/compose. Uninstalled the patch, and all was well. [/RANT]

~Rob

Old 11-18-2008, 03:28 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I had the BlackJack II for a few weeks, then before my 30 days was up I took it back for the Epix the day it came out. I upgraded the BJII to WM 6.1 the day I got it, so I can't vouch for WM 6.0. I was not able to sync the BJII with my laptop at work, but on the Epix I discovered a USB setting for "Enable advanced network functionality" that has to be turned off to sync at work. I can sync at home with it enabled.

I'm able to sync with two computers, but the problems I've had all along (going back to my iPaq 3765 with WM 2002) still persist: anytime I try to sync with two computers, ActiveSuck (WMDC in my case on Vista) wants to duplicate tons and tons of records, which means I have to spend hours on two computers deleting all the duplicate tasks, appointments, and journals. I also get random duplication of contacts. Sometimes records that I was sure I deleted on both computers and the device magically reappear from nowhere.

I too installed the supposed patch to the smtp fix on WM 6.1, but it didn't fix anything. I still hit smtp errors. I can get around this with Flexmail 2007. For some reason, I've never been able to get Flexmail 4 to perform correctly for me, so I'm saving the upgrade fee.

I wish MS would create better comparative logic. This record duplication has been driving me nuts for years, and when I have to hard reset a device on average every 6 weeks to 2 months, that's a lot of time I spend deleting duplicate records.

If the iPhone supported Outlook tasks I would have jumped ship by now. I coined a phrase on my blog that Real Dan Lyons (formerly Fake Steve Jobs) actually picked up: "Windows Mobile- the perfect blend of power, capability, and instability."

Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

You know, reading about this just gets me worried. The rants and the comments about jumping ship in several other posts and threads beg the question:

What does Windows Mobile really have that sets it apart from the competition?
(iPhone, Blackberry/RIM, Android - I'm not including Palm - that's too easy)

Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default NO!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by possmann View Post
You know, reading about this just gets me worried. The rants and the comments about jumping ship in several other posts and threads beg the question:

What does Windows Mobile really have that sets it apart from the competition?
(iPhone, Blackberry/RIM, Android - I'm not including Palm - that's too easy)
May I suggest we not derail this thread, which just deals with sync errors, with that huge topic? There have been lists of iPhone deficiencies published before, too.

Steve

Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 PM
speed2008
Neophyte

I have a HTC Touch Diamond, I synced to a second PC about a week ago and now I have the problem where ActiveSync throws back error 86000107 when I try to sync to the original PC. I'm not sure what it is, I tried syncing only one source at a time and found tasks and contacts sync but calendar and email don't. I had to delete all partnerships and start again. Ah well its MS again, Activesync has not been updated for a while. Maybe they need to get rid of Activesync and make a WMDC for us people who do not use Vista.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 AM
wfisher
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
She upgraded her Mogul to Windows Mobile 6.1 and was no longer able to sync with two PCs. Instead, ActiveSync throws back error 86000107.
Ed, the poster you're referring to also posted in our forum here, where we've been following the issue very closely. There are a number of very experienced WM professionals who have confirmed the existence of the issue in the thread, and we've received direct feedback from Microsoft that a fix has been delivered to OEMs in AKU 1.2.

At this point, that's as far as we've been able to get with the issue. It appears we're waiting on the manufacturers...

Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 AM
NorCalGuy
Neophyte
Unhappy ActiveSync WM 6.1

I have encountered the same problem with my Sprint Mogul ever since I upgraded to 6.1.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 AM
marcmain19
Neophyte
Default This fixed it for me...

I fought this problem for a long time. See if I can explain the fix as simple as possible.
(Using Outlook 2003)

1) I backed up both of my PST files. PC#1 and PC#2.

2) I deleted all partnerships on PC#1 and all partnerships on my device.

3) I deleted all contacts and calendar entries in PC#1.
a) dont panic, we backed up the pst in step 1.
b) i only sync contacts and calendar, so you'll want to delete all sync'd items.
c) to delete all calendar items, switch View -> Arrange By -> Current view -> By Catagory
then highlight the top entry and hit CTRL+A to select all, now hit delete.
4) Now I reconnected my device and re-established partnership. PC#1 done.

5) Delete all partnerships on PC#2.

6) Repeat step #3 on PC#2.

7) Repeat step #4 on PC#2.

I understand the frustration this error is causing everyone and I hope these steps are as successful for you as they were for me.

Tags
activesync, bugs