Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Updates Windows Mobile 6.1 Emulator Images; Includes Internet Explorer Mobile 6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

"Windows Mobile 6.1.4 includes the new Internet Explorer Mobile 6, a full-featured browser for Windows Mobile devices that brings the same high-quality browsing experience to the user as desktop browsers. Internet Explorer Mobile 6 supports desktop-quality rendering and has the best compliance support of all versions of Internet Explorer on a Windows Mobile device to date. Several new features and improved support allows users to complete tasks quickly and easily."

Microsoft has updated its Windows Mobile emulator images to 6.1.4. This release includes the new Internet Explorer Mobile 6 - which isn't exactly a stellar upgrade to this infamous browser, but a welcome one nonetheless. For a list of new features, check the Windows Mobile Team Blog.

These images will appeal most to developers. For the end-users reading this, you know the drill: if you want Internet Explorer Mobile 6 on your device, you'll have to wait and hope that your respective OEM or carrier feels ever-so-generous and blesses you with an update.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

For those that are looking for a bit more detail of what to expect on Mobile IE 6, ArsTechnica did a quick look.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ie-mobile.html

In brief so far, it's an improvement, but still nowhere near a proper desktop browsing experience. Personally, I'm also curious about load time performance, which I still find is lacking on ARM based devices compared to x86.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
alese
Philosopher

I'm quite happy with Opera 9.5 on my devices. It makes browsing on Advantage's VGA screen usable, not great (yet) but usable.

So at the end of the day I don't really care about this PIE6, especially as it looks it's still not in the same league as the top mobile browsers.
But on the other hand I guess now that it's "released" for the developers it's just a matter of days before some genius on XDA-Developers makes a CAB for everybody to install.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

I have to agree with you. Of all the browsers I've tried, Opera Mobile seems to be the best for WinMo devices. SkyFire is just too clunky for me right now.