Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default What Makes a Smartphone a Smartphone?

We have a large variety of devices out there now. With Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Palm, Nokia, the Iphone, and Google's G1, many would call these smartphones. But as I look around the web I've read that some say devices like the G1 or iphone are not smartphones. Some say they are multimedia phones. When I compare my Dash and my Iphone, there are definitely some differences but there are also many similarities. They both play music, videos, handle all my appointments, contacts, ebooks, bible, internet, email, camera, and so on. So what do you all think? Are all the devices mentioned smartphones? Are some smartphones and some not? Does it matter if the device has a touch screen or not? And of course the real question: What makes a smartphone a smartphone?�*

Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
TopDog
Sage
Send a message via Skype™ to TopDog

For me a smartphone is a phone that is "smarter" than the regular old phones that just did voice and SMS.

It should be able to do multiple tasks simultaneously, and give the user added value than just communicating with family and friends. It should have the possibility to install third party applications.

Wither the smartphone has a touch screen or not doesn't matter. It's about the possibilities and added value, not the features.

So where does that leave us? Is a phone with a camera, web browser and a JVM a smartphone? To some extent, yes.

I think it's time to categorise smartphones. You have f.eks. multimedia-centric devices like the iPhone, business-centric devices like Windows Mobile and camera/leisure-centric devices like Nokia/SonyEricsson.

Then you have the powerful smartphones that does more than one area, like Windows Mobile that does both multimedia and business... but they are usually more focused to one area than the other.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

The way I always interpreted it was sort of like the difference between a standard desktop PC and a workstation.

Specifically, a smartphone is a phone that includes PIM and other work related features. This means that it has the ability to sync with corporate network servers, be able to connect to a VPN, have policies applied to it. These options may not necessairily be used, but they have the capability.

This compared to a feature phone, that may include PIM functions, word processing, etc, but isn't quite as targeted towards the business environment.

If you look at Blackberries, WinMo and Palm devices, they are designed to be able to be managed in a corporate environment. Compare this to the iPhone or Nokia N95 or N96, which are more consumer-centric. Mind you, the iPhone is definately approaching the Smartphone category in my opinion, but it isn't quite there yet.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Stinger
Thinker

Who was the first person to use the term "smartphone"? The earliest reference I can find is from the early days of Symbian. Microsoft then seems to have picked up the ball and used it for its Smartphone (capital S) platform. Whatever the origin, it's nothing more than a marketing term. Hence the endless arguments.

There also seems to be a divide between what the phrase smartphone means in North America and the rest of the world.

North America grew accustomed to the term smartphone at a time when Palm and Windows Mobile dominated. The phrase has since conjured up an imagine of a business-centric QWERTY device for most Americans.

The rest of the world hasn't been exposed to Palm and (to a lesser extent) Windows Mobile. Around the world, Symbian has tended to dominate and most Symbian devices are consumer and multimedia-centric. The obsession with QWERTY keyboards and push e-mail hasn't filtered through to the parts of the world that have grown up on T9 and SMS.

For me, as a European, my definition of a smartphone is a phone that can run natively coded third party applications. That includes Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm, Mobile OS X and Android (sort of). I like the definition because it's very straight-forward and clear cut. Where my personal definition falls down is that Blackberry phones (to the best of my knowledge) can only run Java applications. Is a Blackberry a smartphone? RIM's platform seems to get more sophisticated with every passing day but it's still behind the rest.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

That's really the first time I have heard of the term "multimedia phone". I think it's mainly used by those who think carrying a "Smartphone" sounds too geek . Apart from that, I think the original definition of a smartphone was a handset that had more features than voice calls and SMS (i.e. includes PIM features such as calendar, To-do list, etc.). However, literally every phone can do this now (my Moto SLVR for example) and to make matters more complicated - most phones can install at least J2ME apps (Java midlets) enhancing functionality further with 3rd-party apps.

To wrap things up, when I hear the term "Smartphone", a few criteria come to mind:

- Phone has PIM functionality
- Phone can install custom applications
- Phone has hardware features beyond a "normal" phone such as GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth

Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
ARW
Thinker

First off a smartphone is capable of much more than just making calls. Adding apps, email, web browsing, contacts, calendar etc. I like to make the distinction that a smartphone is a one handed device. Could be touchscreen or not, qwerty or not, but it has to be a one handed device. So...many WM Pro phones are not smartphones because they require two hands, as does the iPhone. by my definition a phone only requires one hand to operate.

That said, I'm not sure what all the two-handed mobile phones should be called. They're nice and everything, but they're not smartphones. I'll stick with my Smartphone and when I need a bigger screen I'll pull my 2.5 pound PC out and have a true computing experience with enough screen real estate to really get some work done.

My .02, which is now worth about .01 according to my latest calculation.

AW

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARW View Post
First off a smartphone is capable of much more than just making calls. Adding apps, email, web browsing, contacts, calendar etc. I like to make the distinction that a smartphone is a one handed device.
AW
Smartphone is a phone that has added functionalities; in the late 80s, early 90s phone were only able to make... phone calls, not even SMS.

Basically every phone available today is a smartphone.

I also do not see why a smartphone must be a "one handed device; this seems an arbitrary distinction, like the "multimedia phone" one. Well, let marketing geniuses justify their paychecks.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 PM
acharn
Pupil

I think of it like this. A "smartphone" is any device that you use that has more data features than voice features. However, I never rely solely on the description of "Smartphone". I think in most circles it means any device that has PIM features a "dumbphone", i.e. your circa 2002 cell phone, doesn't have.
I don't consider my iPhone a smartphone, since I don't want to "dumb it down". It is, in my opinion, much more advanced than a "smartphone".

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

A smartphone is, quite simply, a phone that's 'smarter' than a regular phone.

What the manufacturers seem to have forgotten is this: In order for your phone to remain a 'smart'phone, the features that it offers must continuously be more than the features offered in average phones (like the RAZR).

Unfortunately, the manufacturers (MS in particular) think that once they've developed a smartphone, they don't think it needs to do much more later in time. It used to be the end-all be-all of a phone that it could play MP3s, but these days GPS units play MP3s, so that's nothing special. What has MS done? Decided that Windows Media Player Mobile didn't really need anything else beyond displaying album art...

I believe that eventually there really won't be any difference between 'smart' and 'dumb' phones. The iPhone is a significant step in that direction. Eventually, I believe the distinction will be moot.

That said, there's one feature that stands out for me: A smartphone must multi-task. I want to listen to music and surf the web at the same time. I want them both to be temporarily suspended when I receive a phone call. Then when the call is over, I want the music to resume and my web page to come back up. I also don't want to have to close Pocket Excel in order to pull up the calculator! That, I think, is what really makes a smartphone 'smart'. Until you multi-task, you're not a smartphone.

Last edited by Damion Chaplin; 11-11-2008 at 08:54 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 AM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

I would say a key feature/requirement of a smartphone is the ability to add programs to it.