Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Patches Windows Mobile 6.1 SMTP Bug

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...splaylang=en&tm

Microsoft has patched the bug in Windows Mobile 6.1 where the email database could become corrupt and you are unable to send emails via POP3 or IMAP4 through an SMTP server. Outlook/Exchange emails, as well as SMS/MMS messages were unaffected. We discussed this here recently.

"This behavior is associated with a feature that is introduced in Windows Mobile 6.1. The feature allows for mobile operators to specify an alternate SMTP server name that is used if e-mail messages cannot be sent by using the user-specified SMTP server name. If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages."

There is a 105KB CAB file to copy to your device and install from there or a 652KB MSI file to install while docked to your PC. I haven't tried to download directly from that page on my WM6.1 device yet. I don't understand why the MS site says this is supported on WM 6.0 as well as 6.1. My understanding is this bug is the result of a new feature in 6.1. It does affect both the Smartphone and Pocket PC variants, so if you have WM 6.1 and use POP3 or IMAP4 email, you should install this patch, and keep it handy. I suspect it would be lost if you hard reset your device for whatever reason.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Snowmation
Pupil

Thanks for the heads up. I've never had this issue, but I'm pretty happy to see Microsoft fix the problem and host the files on their own site instead of waiting for carriers to "test" and then eventually make it available to customers.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:20 AM
freitasm
Oracle

"Hey what about this 'Windows Update' icon in my Windows Mobile device?"
"Never mind"...

Old 11-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm View Post
"Never mind"...

That's a good point. If Microsoft wont use it, why would they expect carriers or manufacturers to.

Microsoft could certainly try to show the value add.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Snowmation
Pupil

Quote:
"Never mind"...

LOL....yeah that's a good point. *sigh*

Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 AM
cortez
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to cortez Send a message via MSN to cortez

i've had this problem sending text msgs 6 or 7 times on 2 different devices in the past 3 weeks and couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. hopefully this will fix it. yeah, so much for the "Windows Update" on our phones...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
"Never mind"...

Don't even get me started on that. For the life of me I cannot think of a valid excuse as to why this feature has not been utilized. This is why it was created, was it not?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

For what it is worth, you can download the CAB file directly from the MS site if you are reading this on your device.

No matter how you get the CAB there, once you tap on it on your device, it will immediately install and reboot your machine - no questions asked, so make sure you save any work you were doing before installing it.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Robrecht
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez View Post
i've had this problem sending text msgs 6 or 7 times on 2 different devices in the past 3 weeks and couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. hopefully this will fix it. yeah, so much for the "Windows Update" on our phones...
This particular issue affects e-mail only, so I'm afraid the patch won't fix your text messaging problem.

Funny: I've had my WM6.1 Touch Pro for months, and have been able to send e-mail via smtp without problems until a week ago. And now, right after this issue had me totally baffled, Microsoft releases a fix! Especially for me, I like to think.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I had the problem hit me full force on a BlackJack II. It worked fine for a couple of weeks then suddenly I couldn't send more than 3 emails without having to delete and recreate my gmail account. I took the BlackJack II back for an Epix, and I haven't had that problem with the Epix yet, but I've been using FlexMail 2007 which doesn't seem affected.

I think the Windows Update on WM 6.x devices is a bug not a feature. I think it's there for decoration purposes only.